Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

August 11th, 2010 04:00

Best Practice : FC/SATA DAE Connections to CX4-480 ???

Dear All,

We have upgraded our CX500 to CX4-480.

Current Configuration :

1st Bus : 4 DAE (2 Gbps)

2nd Bus : 4 DAE (2 Gbps)

3rd Bus : Free

4th Bus : Free

We have query regarding connecting new 4Gbps FC DAE (2 Nos) and SATA DAE (1 No)

We have two options :

Option 1: Suggested by Partner

Option 2: Suggested by EMC

With which one we should go ahead?

Which option will be better in terms of Performance and Future Upgradation?

Connectivity.png

Thank you.

. : : [ a s h X ] : : .

392 Posts

It would depend on your workload.  You need to understand the IOPs or bandwidth directed at the DAEs RAID groups and when the loads apply to decide.

If I was simultaneously running a high bandwidth workload to the SATA drives and a high IOPS workload to the FC drives, I'd use Option 1.

If I was using the SATA drives for off-hours backup and running a high IOPS workload on the FC drives, I'd use option 2.

A detailed discussion of 'bus balancing' is found in the 'CLARiiON Performance' section of the EMC CLARiiON Storage System Fundamentals for Performance and Availability.  In addition, the 'RAID group bus balancing' section of EMC CLARiiON Best Practices for Performance and Availability contains additional CX4-related information.  Both of these documents are available on Powerlink.

142 Posts

Hi, Thnks for reply.

All New DAEs are on 4Gbps.

I am thinking that, If we are putting SATA DAE inbetween FC then it will degrade performance of FC DAE. Is it like this?

116 Posts

I would go with option 2 but I would also see if any of the new dae's are run 4 gig .. If so I would put them on the new bus

116 Posts

August 11th, 2010 05:00

There would be a slight loss ... but you would not want to put all SATA on one bus ,, Add the 4 gig dae's to a new bus

37 Posts

August 11th, 2010 08:00

In the case when you are saying there will be slight loss... How it could be??

As all the DAE are with 4Gbps interface, and when FC DAE is cascded to SATA or to tha FC performance should be same.

Unless there is fifferance in the DAE Architecture...

Pls correct me...

116 Posts

Sorry I miss communicated ... No loss ..

37 Posts

Ok...

Thanks for your prompt reply! That would be great help on this part! We can use then any of the combination.

We have planned to use SATA DAE as secondary storage. So mostly 2nd option looks to be suitable for us....

Thanks again!!!

No Events found!