Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 9th, 2009 07:00

Booting from CX3 and storages failover requirment

Dear All,

There are more than 20 windows servers which boot form one CX3-80 in my environment.
I'd like to plan HA of storages; for example: one CX3-80 failed, another storage will take the services.

Does any solutoin fulfill this requirement?
1. Volume Manager tools?
2. TSM or ... third party solutions?
3. Auto-Start ?

Thanks any suggestions.
Dennis Dai

2.2K Posts

June 9th, 2009 10:00

I think that is going to be complex and expensive to accomplish. Since you are talking about protecting the boot volumes, no host resident software will help like volume manages. So I would look at array or fabric level virtualization/mirroring.

Two solutions off the top of my head would be RecoverPoint using Continuous Data Protection (CDP) or Invista and volume mirroring. Not sure if either of these support boot volumes though. Check them out and see if they meet your requirements.

Another route to take since you are already talking about a new array and solution/services to implement this is look at a different type of array. If you are concerned about the failure a midrange array with active/passive controllers then what about an active/active array like a Symmetrix?

360 Posts

June 12th, 2009 06:00

Hi AranH,

Thanks for your response.

Can any competitor's solution fulfill this requirement?

Best Regards,
Dennis Dai

2.2K Posts

June 12th, 2009 09:00

Dennis,
I would first analyze what it is you are trying to protect against. The Cx3 really is a five 9's capable box if managed properly. The chances are higher that you will have host type failure than a storage array failure. Higher levels of uptime are available if you go to an enterprise type array like the Symmetrix from EMC or the USP from Hitachi. It would probably be cheaper and less complex to migrate to an enterprise array to achieve increased array fault tolerance than it would be to implement an array mirroring/virtualization solution. To understand you situation better though, what is it about your array or SAN fabric that you want to protect against?

That being said though I would first talk to your local TC and tell him/her what you are looking to achieve. If EMC is your storage array vendor then I would first look for an EMC based solution as it will integrate better with your architecture. As I said, Invista or RecoverPoint may be a good fit, but I am not as familiar with their local array mirroring capabilities.

Outside of EMC there is IBM, which has the SAN Volume Controller (SVC). It also virtualizes storage, but I don't know if it supports the mirroring of volumes across arrays.

Hitachi announced with their latest USP that they support mirroring of USPs. But that is going to be really expensive.

Aran

1 Message

December 31st, 2018 22:00

This service is amazing and its has recently been added to USPS. Though its expensive in initial phases, later on it offers incredible services on lower prices.

Thanks & Regards,

2 Posts

March 15th, 2019 11:00

I have noticed that many Big official sites are working on windows server not on Linux server example USA biggest courier company USPS.  use windows server.

1 Message

June 23rd, 2019 23:00

Booting from cx3 you have to take backup information of your data and after you have to install it and Login using your admin id and Password. Liteblue

No Events found!