Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 4th, 2012 04:00

CX-4PDAE-FD with other disks

Hello,

I'm new to EMC and storage world so sorry if my questions might have no sense.:-)

I bought a CX-2PDAE with 15x300GB(Seagate PN: ST3300007FCV, EMC PN: 9X1007-031) and I want to know if these disks can be used on a CX-4PDAE-FD KTN-STL4. The SPE is CX3-20F-DE 046-002-956-A02.

If the vault drives are 15k drives or EFDs instead of 10k drives, is there an improuvement in overall performance of the storage box?

Where can I find documentation for preparing and installing a CX3-20 from scratch?

Regards,

Raul

July 4th, 2012 04:00

Hi Raul.,

If you have access to powerlink, you can check the part compatibility from the below link.

Home > Support > Interoperability and Product Lifecycle Information > Parts Compatibility Matrix

regards

Prasanna

13 Posts

July 4th, 2012 05:00

Thank you both for your answers.

Right now I have only limited acces to powerlink, so the links that you've provided does not work for me. I will request an upgrade to full-access account. Right now seems to be a little bit tricky this task for me. :-)

Regards,

Raul

July 4th, 2012 05:00

Hi Raul,

Welcome to EMC Forum.., Hope you are doing well..

For your initial question regarding the Part compatibility, please refer the below mentioned document/Disk FLARE OE matrix Guide .., it should answer your question….. 

http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1/en_US/Offering_Technical/Technical_Documentation/All_CLARiiON_Disk_and_FLARE_OE_Matrices.pdf?

Regards,

Suman Pinnamaneni,

July 4th, 2012 07:00

Hey you can write a email to Powerlink@emc.com for the access…..

Regards,

Suman Pinnamaneni

13 Posts

July 10th, 2012 09:00

Got access to powerlink and now I'm able to see the needed documentation. Thanks again for the hint.

My next question is: Can a CX3-20F-DE SPE work with two SPS(850W each)? In the installing documentation is mentioned that it requires 1000W and unfortunately can't find a 1000W SPS on ebay(UK or DE) for Clariion.

And the last question(it was in my first post also), if the vault drives are 15k drives or EFDs instead of 10k drives, is there an improuvement in overall performance of the storage box?

Regards,

Raul

July 10th, 2012 10:00

Hey, can you provide me with the FALRE release …, Let me check the available options for the Vault drives for your CX3-20F

1.4K Posts

TheJudge wrote:

Got access to powerlink and now I'm able to see the needed documentation. Thanks again for the hint.

My next question is: Can a CX3-20F-DE SPE work with two SPS(850W each)? In the installing documentation is mentioned that it requires 1000W and unfortunately can't find a 1000W SPS on ebay(UK or DE) for Clariion.

And the last question(it was in my first post also), if the vault drives are 15k drives or EFDs instead of 10k drives, is there an improuvement in overall performance of the storage box?

Regards,

Raul

1. If you are unable to find the compatible parts for your storage array. You may contact our Service Team and check your options for hassle free part delivery and support contract.

2. EFD Drives can not be configured as a Vault Drive. You may configure 15k rpm FC or 10k rpm FC Drives, the improvement would be limited to IOPS each type can handle.

15krpm = 180 IOPS (random small block)

10krpm= 140 IOPS (random small block)

Moreover, Please refer to: EMC CLARiiON Performance and Availability Release 30 Firmware Update Applied Best Practices for Best Performance Practices and PFA EMC Storage Systems Disk and FLARE OE Matrices, Refer from Page Number: 49 for available drives for CX3 Series.

1 Attachment

Hi,

Nice to hear that you got access to Powerlink ……

It is recommended to go for SPS 1000w as it is mentioned in the installation guide., you may get the same from EMC as well.., if you need one, please open a service request with EMC…

Regarding Vault drives.., If I am not wrong, CX3 models EFD’s are not supported …Only FC , SATA and ATA drive type are supported…..

Regards,

Suman Pinnamaneni

13 Posts

July 10th, 2012 13:00

@Suman: You're right. Silly question from my side. EFDs are not supported on CX3 models.

@AnkitM: Thanks for making it more clear for me the difference between 15k rpm and 10k rpm disks when talking about IOPS performance. I'm not pretty sure that I understood your first point. How can Service Team help me with a SPS that I don't find it on any ebay "market"? Can I buy such a product directly from EMC even if it's and old hardware?

Regards,

Raul

1.4K Posts

July 10th, 2012 13:00

Once, you contact EMC Renewal Service, they might be able to provide you a Service Contract.

You will need to contact EMC Sales/Service for more information on Support Contracts.

As far as I remember EMC does not just provide parts, it comes with the Support Contract.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 10th, 2012 14:00

look at 3-rd party resellers, EMC will take your first born for that SPS and ask for more $$$ after that.

1.4K Posts

July 10th, 2012 14:00

For the level of Support I believe its worth it, isn't it?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 10th, 2012 15:00

support for one DAE ? If he/she bought the whole thing from ebay, EMC will need to re-certify the whole box (went through this before, transitioning support from Dell purchased CX700), that is some serious chunk of change that does not make sense to invest. Might as well buy a new VNXe or something.

1.4K Posts

July 10th, 2012 15:00

Oh! I was not aware of that process. But I understand now, What you meant

5.7K Posts

July 11th, 2012 00:00

got some experience with your first born, Dynamox? That sure explains the high quality SEs working at EMC

No Events found!