Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 26th, 2013 03:00

CX3-10c Analyzer Data Logging Periodic

Does anyone know why my CX3-10c Analyser Data Logging Check Box of "Stop Automatically After"  is always dimmed as below and I cannot uncheck it?

CX3-10c_Analyzer_Data_Logging.jpg

I can uncheck the check box in VNX5100 to have the Analyzer run forever with periodic archiving.

Right now, the CX3-10c Analyzer Data logging will stop with a maximum of 7 days and I need to manually start it.

Is there anyway to have the CX3-10c Analyzer Data Logging turned on with Periodic Archiving forever without stopping every 7 days?

September 28th, 2013 11:00

As Dynamox was working you towards in identifying, the behavior you reported in the "Data Logging" settings of the CX3, means that you do not have the Navisphere Analyzer enabler (license) loaded.  As already suggested, you would also see it absent in the "Software" tab of the screenshot you provided.  The only way then to mimic the behavior of unchecking "Stop automatically after" (or rather not having to manually log in every week and restart) would be automating via Navisphere CLI.

I do want to note though that, for the data that you have been viewing by right-clicking on objects such as LUNs, SP A/B, etc and then selecting the "Statistics" tab scattered throughout Navisphere does NOT rely on the "Data Logging" of Navisphere Analyzer to be started.  It only requires the "Statistics Logging" checkbox to be enabled.

So just a quick summary of the system requirements:

1) In order for the "Statistics" tabs when right-clicking on objects scattered within Navisphere to populate:

a) "Statistics Logging": must be enabled (otherwise will show N/A)

b) (Analyzer) "Data Logging": not required

2) In order to view NAR/NAZ data for deep (offline/online) analysis during the time period the data logging has been collected:

a) "Statistics Logging": enabled

b) (Analyzer) "Data Logging": enabled

In other words, (Analyzer) Data Logging requires that Statistics Logging be enabled (but not vice versa).

I will mention just one other separate application just to round it out:

3) VNX Monitoring & Reporting:

a) "Statistics Logging": enabled

b) (Analyzer) "Data Logging": not required

Also relies on Navisphere CLI to be installed on the M&R server.

On a side note, even though you have only been using the data available scattered throughout Navisphere via the "Statistics" tab, with an unlicensed version of Analyzer, it would only generate encrypted NAZ data.  Therefore, unless you are a partner or EMC employee, you would not then be able to download them and view them within a Navisphere/Unisphere Server instance (even online within the same Navisphere Server on the array which it was collect). 

Therefore, my only point is if you thought that the Data Logging was required to get the statistics scattered within Navisphere, then it was unnecessary.  However, on the other hand, even with unlicensed Analyzer, having it constantly running so you have the data points collected when you need them I won't necessarily disagree with that, but again you should think of Analyzer as a separate feature (which it is).

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 26th, 2013 04:00

is Navisphere Analyzer installed on this array ?

77 Posts

September 26th, 2013 19:00

How do I check if Analyzer has been installed on CX3?

I just find out that there's a Statistics Logging as below of the CX3 properties, could I use it to achieve the same purpose of seeing the real time statistics such as SP Controlller busy% and Dirty Pages?

What's the difference between the below Statistics Logging and the Analyzer Logging?

CX3-10c_Statistics.jpg

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 27th, 2013 07:00

somebody please correct but i always thought that Statistics Loggins was to display limited number of performance counters within Navisphere, where Analyzer logging provides more in-depth counters for things like response times, bandwidth/throughput. If you go to Software tab, do you see Navisphere Analyzer ?

110 Posts

September 29th, 2013 01:00

I understand that the statistics report could be generated with help of Analyzer. Otherwise, just the values can be seen on a object tab i.e, lun properties. I know the data logging must be started to get depth report.

Without enabling the data logging, Is there any other tool would generate a continuos graph report like ECC PM?

My understanding is the long period of data loggin would affect the array performance.

4.5K Posts

September 30th, 2013 13:00

When Periodic Archive is grayed out, that means the Analyzer Enabler is not installed. Go to System Properties/Software - look for -NavisphereAnalyzer - if this is not present, the enabled is not installed.

glen

4.5K Posts

September 30th, 2013 13:00

Data Logging can or can not affect performance. It depends on the overall SP Utilization on the array. If SP utilization is staying under about 60% and the Archive Interval is set to 600 seconds, you would see little to no impact on performance.

glen

No Events found!