Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 1st, 2015 10:00

CX3-10c Hard Disks Faulted

Hi,

I have an EMC CX3-10c SAN that has 2 faulted hard disks configured in an RAID 1_0 configuration (disks 8 and 13) with 4 other hard disks which are working. Can I just pull out the faulted hard disks and then replace them with the new hard disks? Or do I have to use the hot spare hard disk?

4.5K Posts

June 1st, 2015 14:00

In a Raid 10 you have a master/slave setup - you need to know what disk is which in the mirror relationship - if 8 and 13 not not part of the same mirror you should be able to replace them - one at a time and wait for each rebuild to finish.

glen

June 1st, 2015 17:00

Hi,

How would I tell?

The current order if I right click on the RAID group is:

8, 10, 12, 9, 11, 13

1.4K Posts

June 1st, 2015 22:00

naviseccli -h getrg

output is not the way RAID10 subsets are generally setup. I would verify the subsets before replacing the disks. However, if your RAID Group is not show "U" /Unowned or you LUNs are not offline (i.e. if you have a data access) then probability is the 2 disks belong to different RAID10 Subsets and we can replace the same at the earliest.

June 2nd, 2015 08:00

Hi,

I have pull out one of the faulty hard disks and replaced it with a brand new one. The new one already came with the caddy attached. Navisphere still reports it as faulted but I do have the green and orange light on where as the old one had just the orange light on.

1.4K Posts

June 2nd, 2015 09:00

It is possible rebuilding did not kick in or both the disks are part of the same subsets. (If data is accessible then its not be part of same subset

).

In either case, I would prefer SPCollects analysis.

June 2nd, 2015 10:00

Hi,

I have the SPCollect files from SP A.

I am just wondering if it needs both hard drives to be replaced before it starts the rebuilt.

4.5K Posts

June 2nd, 2015 14:00

With the mirror pairs when you replace one failed disk it immediately equalizes from the other disk in the pair - it does an equalize (not a rebuild which uses parity). So once you put the new drive in the fault light should go out and the other light will start to flash as it's copies to the data from the other disk.

glen

4.5K Posts

June 29th, 2015 11:00

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award points to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.

glen

No Events found!