Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 10th, 2012 00:00

CX3-40F & CX3-10C Micro DB9/RJ12 Serial cable pinouts to convert to DB9/USB?

Hi Guys,

We have an EMC CX3-40F & CX3-10C both with no access to the Navisphere, LAN, & Management ports IP addresses. I did a wireshark capture but all ports shows 0.0.0.0 on the captures and therefore we cannot start the storage initial configuration. The only option is to connect using the micro DB9/RJ12 serial console (refer to attach image) via PPP connection to reset the security.

However, as all laptops now has no RJ12 COM port and can only use a USB. What I need is an adapter from the RJ12 connector to an RJ12/DB9 then to a male DB9/USB as COM port to a laptop. Could anybody share the serial cable pinouts so that I can construct the cable adapter? Or perhaps the correct EMC part number of this adapter and where/how to purchase it. I have searched and google this to no avail. Called EMC support helpdesk, but no acceptable response so far.

Thanks in advance for any help..!

1 Attachment

6 Posts

October 14th, 2012 09:00

The cable you are looking is on Ebay. part # 038-003-084. they cost any where from 54.00 to 125.00. I purchased a 038-003-084 25ft for $54.00 last week works great. Just search for the part number.

If you are really a geek you need a micro DB9/male and a DB9/female.

Pin out:      MDB9/M     DB9/F

1     -        1

5     -        2

4     -        3

3     -        4

2     -        5

-      -        6 no pin 6 on the mini DB9

8     -        7

7     -        8

2     -        9

Depends on what your time is worth and the risk of breaking the SP. I recommend the cable on Ebay.

To go from USB to mini DB serial you will need a GUC232a with software. works on my 64bit win7 laptop. you can find it on Ebay about $27.00.

6 Posts

October 14th, 2012 20:00

Catanzaro,

Thanks you so much..! for your reply. This is very helpful, I'll try the cabling since getting from ebay could be the last resort to my Boss. I appreciate very much your kind effort to help..! way much better than the experienced I had with EMC support guy that instead of providing this kind of relevant answer, ended up asking for warranty support coverage and questioning where my Boss got the storage from...As an EMC customer and IT support professional that kind of EMC support attitude could lead to EMC losing market chare to competitors...(Sorry just pouring out my frustrations.!)

Thanks again!

No Events found!