Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 23rd, 2008 15:00

CX300: New disk = failed disk???

I've inherited a CX300 that has been in production for several years. One of the drives in the array failed and the hot swap didn't engage. I deleted the hot swap and moved that drive into the slot where the failed drive was and the drive rebuilt itself.

I have ordered several replacement drives (same make/model as the one I pulled) and every time I insert one into the open slot the green light flashes a while (less than 90 seconds) and then the yellow failed light comes on.

I've tried using the Navisphere Service Taskbar to do the replacement
I have a slot that's never been used so I tried to add the drive there (using the add drive tool) wirth the same result. The software claimed to have loaded the new drive but when I look the drive as shown as E.

Every drive I've tried (4 different drives as of now) shows up as failed. Is there a step I'm missing or do I keep buying failed replacements?

8 Posts

October 24th, 2008 00:00

It seems to be a backplane error or a soft error.
Have you tried to reset the bus or plan a reboot of the array?

My best advice is to call EMC and try to coordinate this with them.

Regards.

4.5K Posts

October 24th, 2008 09:00

Sometimes an older drive is replaced with a compatible replacement disk (new model/firmware) - if parts is sending you a new drive it may be that the new drive requires a certain level of flare code to use the new disk. It may be that you need to upgrade the flare on the cx300 first, then try the new disks.

On PowerLink there is a Disk to Flare support matrix that lists all the disks and which flare version is needed to support that disk:

http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1/en_US/Offering_Technical/Technical_Documentation/014003111.pdf

regards,

glen

3 Posts

October 24th, 2008 10:00

I'm getting replacement disks based on the model number of the drive, not direct from EMC or one of it's resellers.

146 GB, Seagate Cheetah ST3146807FCV

3 Posts

October 24th, 2008 11:00

Well that's pretty draconian. There should be a utility that applies the appropriate disk firmware, especially for platforms that are no longer in production!

Where is an affordable source for these mystery disks?

4.5K Posts

October 24th, 2008 11:00

You can't use non-EMC disks - we format the disks differently and have customer firmware - the array will not recognize non-emc disks.

glen
No Events found!