Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 23rd, 2013 10:00

CX300 San Support

Hello all,

I recently inherited some hardware from an acquisition.  I've got this CX300 with 15x 146gb 15k drives that I have no idea how to access/interface with.  I understand that this product is at its end of life.

Essentially I'd like to figure out how I can talk to this thing.  I have a fibre channel McData switch I can use for communications, and plenty of fibre cables.  I'm looking for a very straight forward method to get this system into RAID 5 without a support contract.  I'm not terribly familiar with EMC products nor fibre channel communications.  I'll be using it in a proof of concept project, I'd like the RAID 5 to be accessible from Windows Serer 2008 R2.  This will be a real Frankenstein project, so performance and perfection aren't a priority, don't fret, this won't be a production system by any means.  I'd just love to use this system for a quick and dirty RAID 5 setup.  I noticed that it has no VGA cable, the monitor port seems to be some old DB9 connection (I've only ever seen this on Solaris?).

I've looked for detailed setup guides or manuals but all I can find are fact and data sheets.

Can someone point me in the right direction to get this beast up and running?  Is this going to be a lost cause?  Is the only way I'll get this running (or the resources/downloads) to pay EMC for a support contract?

I appreciate the help in advance.

Trent

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 23rd, 2013 13:00

can you post a picture of all the components that you have. We have recently had a number of folks purchase their arrays from Ebay thinking they purchased the entire system only to be disappointed when they found out they were missing the essential components, the brains of the system to make it operational.

September 24th, 2013 07:00

I have the unit mentioned in this document: http://www.sandirect.com/documents/intro_cx300_wp.pdf

It has all of the hard drives.  In the back it has all of the needed components as mentioned in page 7 of that document: http://i.imgur.com/T3hoZbg.png

For fibre, I have a McData Spheron 4700: http://www.itinstock.com/ekmps/shops/itinstock/images/emc-mcdata-sphereon-4700-es-4700-32-port-4gbps-switch-with-24sfps-…

Many thanks for the help in advance.  I'm not a fibre pro, I've never implemented a system quite like this and have no idea what sort of software I'll need to interface with it.  I'm hoping that turning it into a Windows share would prove to be an easy task.

Edit: Looking back, I'm not entirely sure if I have a 3U DPE2 or DAE2.  Will that matter for implementation?

Edit 2:

The back of the unit indicates that the two power supplies on the back say DPE CX500.  Additionally I have what looks like a female serial to RJ-11 adapter.  Will this allow me to use hyper terminal or putty to communicate with the device?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 24th, 2013 11:00

can you post a picture of the disk shelve you have, specifically the front of the shelves. There are should be  4 drives with a sticker across at the far left corner. Those are the boot drives, if you don't have those drives and they in working condition there is nothing else you can do with the rest of hardware.

September 25th, 2013 05:00

Starting from the far left, the first five are as follows: 0, 1, 2, , 4.  I don't see any indication on the hard drive itself indicating which one it is. indicating the a number is not present.  The rest of the drives don't have any numbers on them sadly.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 27th, 2013 06:00

if my memory serves me well, on Clariion the first 5 drives are the vault drives ..that's where the brains of the box reside. Those drives do fail from time to time and the box keeps running so missing one drive should not be an issue unless other 4 drives are hosed as well or they are not the vault drives at all. So what happens when you power it on ?

September 27th, 2013 06:00

Is it a lost cause?

1.4K Posts

September 27th, 2013 07:00

dynamox wrote:

if my memory serves me well, on Clariion the first 5 drives are the vault drives ..that's where the brains of the box reside. Those drives do fail from time to time and the box keeps running so missing one drive should not be an issue unless other 4 drives are hosed as well or they are not the vault drives at all. So what happens when you power it on ?

Yes, your memory serves well.

0_0_0

0_0_1

0_0_2

0_0_3

0_0_4

Boot Partition

SPA Primary

Boot Partition

SPB Primary

Boot Partition

SPA Secondary

Boot Partition

SPB Secondary

Image Repository

Utility Partition

SPB Primary

Image Repository

Utility Partition

SPA Primary Image Repository

Utility Partition

SPB Secondary

Utility Partition

SPA Secondary

Vault disk 0_0_0 and 0_0_2 for SP A and 0_0_1 and 0_0_3 for SP B has a mirrored relationship.

ihackedmypc :

1. Can you power on a this CX300 then take a picture of Front and back panel and post? (It would be best if the LEDs are visible in a better manner, take few pics if required)

2. Do you have a Serial Cable and a laptop?

4.5K Posts

September 30th, 2013 14:00

On the CX300, the first five disks, starting from the left as you look at the disks in the front, should have labels on them saying "OS" Drives, do not remove" or something like that. Or there will some tape across all five disks. There should be some markings that differentiate them from the other disks in the enclosure

glen

No Events found!