Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 20th, 2009 05:00

CX4-480 DAE Move to new BUS

We recently upgraded from a CX3-20 to CX4-480 (in-place) and have been left with an unused DAE on the original BUS. I'd like to move this DAE to a new BUS1, but am unclear, after reading many of the posts, as to the exact process and I'm just looking for clarification really...

As I understand it,

Remove all bindings and RAID Groups.
Shutdown the entire array,
Recable the DAE into the new BUS
Reconfigure the BUS and enclosure ID switch
Start the array

In addition to this, I was interested to know what the process would be if I wanted to move a DAE that wasn't at the end of a loop? Is it at all possible (wouldn't be bothered about losing data from the DAE that's moving)

261 Posts

July 20th, 2009 07:00

To remove:

1. Unbind all luns in that DAE, and remove all Raid Groups.
2. (Only if at the end of the loop), uncable the DAE from the previous enclosure and the power.
3. Reboot each SP (should clear the faults).

To add:
1. USE THE NST :)

If it wasn't in the end of the bus, you would need to uncable one side of the DAE you were going to remove and then use a cable to reconnect the DAE before the one leaving to the one after it that will stay. Then do the other side once the previous side is up. You will not be changing enclosure IDs on the remaining ones. Then reboot to clear faults.

-Ryan

2.2K Posts

July 20th, 2009 10:00

I have done this procedure a few times and found that it is only required to restart the Management Server on both storage processors to clear the faults and remove the enclosure from the array configuration. This way the process does not impact the performance of the array and the storage processors can remain online.

261 Posts

July 20th, 2009 12:00

Yea Aran, now thinking back I think they can try that instead of the reboot. Won't hurt but it should work.

Thanks for the correction.

-Ryan

2.2K Posts

July 20th, 2009 12:00

I was actually pleased with how easy this process was once I understood the requirements to complete it successfully (which you laid out in your post). I have done this about a dozen times across Cx, Cx3, and Cx4 arrays and have yet to come across a problem when re-configuring the array.

3 Posts

July 21st, 2009 05:00

Thanks for your feedback, it's clearer now.
No Events found!