Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 13th, 2010 06:00

CX4-960 need phisically replace in 1 bus, the last SATA DAE with FC DAE

due to phisical space issue in two full cabinet, and requiring more performance, i have my two EMC cabinet full, but now, our developers need more

performance and i what to know if without disruption, i can change the SATA DAE with a FC DAE,

i think that the last DAE in one bus is SATA DAE, the info on it i dont need it,

is it posible to do this, and how

Thanks

Maynor

5.7K Posts

July 13th, 2010 07:00

If it's the last DAE on a bus, you should unbind any LUN's which reside on disks on that particular DAE. After that you should disolve any Raid Groups on that enclosure.

Then you can disconnect the DAE from the bus.

If Navisphere doesn't get rid of the red F, you need to restart the management service on both SP's (wait with restarting this on the 2nd SP until the other is up again).

Remove the unwanted SATAN drives from the DAE.

Then connect the EMPTY DAE to the bus again and put the new FC drives in.

4.5K Posts

July 13th, 2010 08:00

"Remove the unwanted SATAN drives from the DAE."

SATAN drives - that's a good one 

295 Posts

July 13th, 2010 11:00

i forgot to mention that the new fc DAE, is full populated with the 15 x 300gb fc 15k disks,

so why you mention empty DAE, is this part of the procedure? to change the DAE

do i have to extract first the FC disks. before conect it?

thanks

Mc

5.7K Posts

July 14th, 2010 02:00

You already have a new DAE ? Ok.... there's no difference between a DAE with SATA and one with FC drives, unless the DAE you want to remove is the low power version, since that one is equipped with smaller power supplies. In that case you cannot use that one with FC drives.

So if you now have regular 7k2 SATA drives which you need to get rid of, simply pull them out, like I mentioned in my "plan" and populate it with FC drives. This way you don't need to buy another DAE....

And you don't need to pull all the drives out before switching on the power. I'd leave 5 drives in and when the DAE is powered on, add them 1 by 1.

Oh: first turn on the power of the new DAE and set the id to the one you removed earlier (you should make sure each DAE has a unique id) and after it's on, you should connect the data cables.

5.7K Posts

July 14th, 2010 02:00

Whenever SATA drives are a performance issue, I call them SATAN drives

2.2K Posts

July 14th, 2010 08:00

That is something that needsd to be clarified. Was this DAE deployed with the CX4-960? Or was it an existing DAE-ATA enclosure on an older array that was upgraded to a CX4-960? If the DAE was deployed new with the CX4, then as RRR pointed out you can just remove all the FC disks and insert the SATA disks as all new DAEs deployed with the CX3 and CX4 arrays can host FC or SATA disks.

5.7K Posts

July 15th, 2010 01:00

We make a pretty good team, don't you think ?

2.2K Posts

July 15th, 2010 07:00

Right, between the two of us we make one good working brain

295 Posts

July 15th, 2010 08:00

guys i have found that

the sata drive DAE, was never installed and conected (it was using only the phisical space), so all was more easily for me

i just remove the sata DAE,  run NST, an follow the steps.

my new FC DAE isnow installed.

Thanks to all for help

Mc

5.7K Posts

July 16th, 2010 04:00

Put us two nitwits in 1 room and you have 1 expert available for you (just keep the door shut so people can't see it's actually 2 people)

5.7K Posts

July 16th, 2010 04:00

You're welcome

2.2K Posts

July 16th, 2010 08:00

No Events found!