Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

October 23rd, 2011 09:00

CX4 + MV/s + SRM5.0 -- is it supported?

Hi there,

we are running two CX4 arrays partly in sync with MirrorView/synchronous. On top of that vSphere 4.1 is running and SRM 4.1 is managing the failover scenario. We are thinking about upgrading to vSphere 5.0 and SRM 5.0 but I can't find the SRA for MV/s.

Does anyone has a similar configuration already running with SRM 5.0 or knows about the SRA for Mirror View synchronous?

Regards,

daniel

11 Posts

October 25th, 2011 13:00

Would also like to know this.  The latest VMware doc suggests it isn't currently supported:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/srm_storage_partners.pdf

Would like to know if it's a matter of time before a MV/S & MV/A SRA is available for SRM 5 or if this will not be released.

Thanks

50 Posts

October 25th, 2011 23:00

I heard from EMC internals that the SRA is currently in the certification process and may be GA next week.

10 Posts

November 2nd, 2011 17:00

That would be great.

We are in a similar situation.

2 CLARiiON CX-120 in sync with a/sync MirrorView.

We are trying VMware SRM 5.0, but we are missing the enabler for the new SRA for MirrorView.

On page 3 of EMC document 300-102-684 (EMC VNX SRA for vCenter Site Recovery Manager 5 version 5.0) they clearly state that you need 2 components to have the CLARiiON and SRM 5 working together:

- VNX SRA

- EMC MirrorView Enabler for VNX SRA

The first one is available on powerlink under

Support > Software Downloads and Licensing > Downloads A-B > Adapters for Third-Party Applications

The second one (the enabler) is not available at the same location on powerlink.

It would be nice to know when EMC is going to publish it.

pfuhli,

I hope your sources are right and the missing piece is published soon.

50 Posts

November 3rd, 2011 00:00

I'll post an update as soon as I know more...

November 14th, 2011 07:00

anyone hear anything?  I cant believe EMC has let this slip this long.

11 Posts

November 14th, 2011 08:00

Other than Chad Sakac's blog saying it was imminent I've not heard anything further to this thread.  I asked our local TCs but no further insight.

We had to make the call to run with SRM v4 for the project I was looking at due to timescales.

50 Posts

November 14th, 2011 13:00

sorry - no news on that from my sources too :-/

50 Posts

November 21st, 2011 03:00

MV SRA has been certified with SRM 5.0.

Will take a few days to post it on the official websites.

We'll see when this will be ;-)

10 Posts

November 23rd, 2011 09:00

Looking today on powerlink under

"Support > Software Downloads and Licensing > Downloads A-B > Adapters for Third-Party Applications"

I found the "MirrorView Enabler for VNX" download.

After installing it on our two SRM 5.0 servers (protected site and recovery site) I was able to succesfully scan for SRAs within VMware Site Recovery Manager interface.

The next step (according to VMware documentation) is to add the Array Manager in VMware SRM.

We do have two CLARiiON CX4-120 with A/Sync MirrorView over iSCSI.

When we try to add the first array manager by populating the relevant info (IPs of the CLARiiON, username, password) we get the following error:

Unable to add array manager:

Internal error: std::exception 'class Vmacore::Xml::XMLParseException' "Invalid document structure".

The documentation for the MirrorView enabler on powerlink is still missing, so I do not really know if we are doing something wrong.

Here is how we installed and configured our SRM servers:

• The two sites are correctly paired and seen in vCenter Client
  • Installed EMC Navisphere CLI on SRM servers on both sites (required by MirrorView Enabler)
    • Do not create security file (Is it correct?)
    • Low level for Certificate checking
  • Installed EMC MirrorView Storage Replication Adapter (SRA) on SRM servers on both sites
    • Installed EMC VNX SRA (5.0.1) for VMware SRM
    • Installed EMC MirrorView Enabler (5.0.2) for VNX SRA
  • Scan for SRAs works fine within VMware vSphere Client
  • When trying to configure first the Array Manager we get the error mentioned above

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 25th, 2011 03:00

pfuhli, if you look at the document located at http://www.vmware.com/pdf/srm_storage_partners.pdf now you'll see that CX4 is supported with SRM5, using MirrorView. You need to download the VNX SRA adapter for SRM, and the Enabler from the PowerLink link that ERCEA_LSA posted above. So your original question should hopefully be answered.

ERCEA_LSA, you seem to have an issue with the validation of data that's coming from the array when adding it. Did you log a support case to help you out?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 25th, 2011 05:00

ERCEA_LSA, you should see on page 11 in that document that the CX4-arrays are supported with SRM5 when using the EMC VNX SRA. See picture below. It only states FC as supported on CX4 with SRM5 though, which might be why you're seeing the issues you've stated above. I suggest you call EMC support to get your setup verified.

Table11.PNG

10 Posts

November 25th, 2011 05:00

Dear vJonas,

looking at the document http://www.vmware.com/pdf/srm_storage_partners.pdf I still see that EMC CLARiiON is supported only for SRM 4.x

I have not logged a support case at VMware for this.

I was waiting the offiical SRM 5 support for CLARiiON before opening a support request.

10 Posts

November 25th, 2011 06:00

vJonas,

you are right about page 11.

The fact is that we have MirrorView running over iSCSI and not Fiber Channel.

So are we out of luck?

Any news about when the support for iSCSI will be added?

32 Posts

November 28th, 2011 11:00

One more note: I have solution enabler 32 bit installed on default location.

32 Posts

November 28th, 2011 11:00

I have a quick question about this setup. I have Mirror View running between two CX4s. I installed

Navisphere CLI , EMC VNX SRA (5.0.1) for VMware SRM, EMC MirrorView Enabler (5.0.2) for VNX SRA

When I try to add array I only see a VNX on the "SRA Type" pull down menue. I don`t see choice for MirrorView.

I tried All IPs {Primary SPA, Primary SPB, Seondary SPA, Secondary SPB} , I keep getting the folloiwng error..

SRA command 'discoverArrays' failed. Unable to locate enabler for input connection information.

Verify the Management IP/Hostname and credentials.

Any ideas what is going on wrong here..

Thanks

No Events found!