Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 17th, 2014 12:00

CX4 user capacity increase

Hello,

when I have str metalun with raw size 500GB but in LUN properties is User Capacity selected for 400GB.

LUN is mapped to server and added as datastore with VM running on this LUN.

Is the increase of User capacity from 400GB to max 500GB online without impact for the running VM?

I am trying to read and search for answers, but this is another one I was not able to find.

Thanks

213 Posts

April 17th, 2014 19:00

PS3, Generally speaking (for the ESXi part)  You can  extend the datastore online while VMs are running on top of it. There is no impact to your VMs. The steps to do so is to: Highlight the datastore --> Click Properties --> Click Increase --> Walk through the wizard to finish increasing the size of the datastore.

However, to give you the exact answer for the META LUN part, I would like first to take a look at LUN properties. Can you kindly paste a screenshot from Unisphere?

Hope that helps

Mohammed Salem @yankoora

4.5K Posts

April 18th, 2014 14:00

For additional information about metaLUN - Best Practice, please see the attached. When you increase the size of a LUN using metaLUN Expand function, you should be aware of how your host operating system will handle the increased size of the LUN. Each OS is different.

glen

1 Attachment

3 Posts

April 22nd, 2014 12:00

Hello,

sorry for late answer. Here is the image as example.

This metalun has raw size 300GB but user size is 275GB only.

I just wanted confirmation the increase from user capacity to maximum capacity can be done online without impact.

user_size.png

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

April 22nd, 2014 14:00

i would not assume and test it out first, it might require that you create an extent first and only then increase capacity of the datastore. Some VM admins frown upon using extents.

213 Posts

April 22nd, 2014 14:00

Hello PS3, Thanks for sharing the Screenshot. You can increase the LUN size to the max size (300 gb). I tested this before on W2k8 LUN and it worked fine. I assume it will be the same for ESXi datastores. You will receive an error from Unisphere while trying to expand the lun size if your LUN is currently a source for Snapview snapshot or replicated to another CX/VNX via Mirrorview.

Hope that helps

Mohammed Salem  @yankoora

No Events found!