Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 2nd, 2012 02:00

Calculate metalun performance

Is there a way from the cli to differenciate between meta lun types ? Goal : to calculate theoretical lun performance derived from cli queries.

Yes I have read white paper 'White Paper: EMC CLARiiON MetaLUNs — A Detailed Review' and am not enlightened

1 Rookie

• 

299 Posts

October 3rd, 2012 05:00

1 Rookie

• 

299 Posts

October 2nd, 2012 06:00

yes.

1 Rookie

• 

299 Posts

yes,

I can see the component luns - great. However is there a way of telling the metalun type ? I am guessing for a component lun, is the element size multiplier different ?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

are you trying to list MetaLUNs, looks at component LUNs, look at RG that comprise those LUNs and then based on the number of disks determine theoretical performance ?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

you mean striped versus concat ?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

have you played with naviseccli metalun -info / -list  ..commands ?

1 Rookie

• 

299 Posts

strike ESM, its not relevant

1 Rookie

• 

299 Posts

What I am trying to do is;

For each metalun, determine its component luns, Determine the metalun type. I already have the IOPS of the RG that the component luns are carved from, so the missing bit of the picture is to determine metalun type and component LUN's. I hope this makes sense.

216 Posts

October 2nd, 2012 08:00

Hi,

I'm not sure if there is an option to calculate the MetaLun Performance from CLI.However please check the Primus solution ID "emc226845" hope it helps..

Regards

Satish.N.Kutty

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

October 2nd, 2012 08:00

hmm ..can't find metalun properties that would display what kind of expansion was performed.

1.4K Posts

October 2nd, 2012 11:00

castleknock wrote:

yes,

I can see the component luns - great. However is there a way of telling the metalun type ? I am guessing for a component lun, is the element size multiplier different ?

Were you running one of these?

naviseccli metalun -list -name -components

OR

naviseccli metalun -list -metalunnumber -components

OR

naviseccli metalun -list -metalunwwn -components

*-components switch Displays the contents of all components in all metaLUN on the storage system.

Issuing the -components command with a metaLUN name, number or WWN displays

the contents of all components for that specific metaLUN.

As far as I reckon, it doesn't say which expansion it is Striped or Concat even in GUI. One needs to check that from the Size of the componenet LUN. (Right Click > Show Comp. LUN)

1 Rookie

• 

299 Posts

October 2nd, 2012 23:00

Odd question,

from

"As far as I reckon, it doesn't say which expansion it is Striped or Concat even in GUI. One needs to check that from the Size of the componenet LUN. (Right Click > Show Comp. LUN"

What is the logic that derives the metalun type from the component lun size ?

1 Rookie

• 

299 Posts

October 3rd, 2012 05:00

unfortunately it does not help. The article is a set of do's and don'ts to follow when creating a metalun. What I want to do is to look at a setup system and calculate the theoretical IOPs of the RAID groups and metaluns. I can calculate the RAID group figures but am trying to figure out how to calculate the metalun theoretical limits but to do this I need to be able to distinguish between striped and concatentated as the IOP profile between the two dramatically differs.

216 Posts

October 3rd, 2012 10:00

Hi,

Thanks for the update...

Regards

Satish.N.Kutty

No Events found!