Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

November 3rd, 2009 06:00

Can you roll back to previous flare after committing new one

Hello,

We are doing a flare upgrade this weekend. We are gong from Flare 19 - 26. Our management tells me that I have one shot and if the flare creates problems I need to roll back to the previous flare. I have new snapview scripts and things I want to test and if they don't work I want to go back to flare 19. Is this even possible, and what are my options? I believe I cannot test Flare 26 until I commit.

Thanks!

Happyadm

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 3rd, 2009 06:00

Hi There,
once you have completed the NDU to Flare 26, Flare 26 is now operational.

Do not commit the code at this time.

Both Flare 26 and the previous flare will show under the software tab under properties in Navisphere.

Confirm that all hosts still have access to the array and can see their LUNs & Data.

While the Flare is not committed, no new LUNs or Raid Groups can be created.

Before you commit the option to revert the code is there, but this will run just like a NDU and will take the same amount of time to revert with the SP reboots.

Once you are happy that all is working correctly, you can then commit the Flare 26 code, which then deletes the Previous code from the array.

Once the commit has been selected there is no way to revert the code, other than a factory install, which deletes all data from the array.

Also don't forget to upgrade any remote dial home templates and host agents to the latest code.

I hope that helps.

Steve

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 3rd, 2009 07:00

The main rule of thumb we have been told is that "configuration changes" can not be made when the flare code has not been comitted.

Snapview should still work, I have seen many customer leave the commit process for up to a week to test many aspects of the new flare code.

It is just that once you hit commit, there is no way to revert the code afterwards.

77 Posts

November 3rd, 2009 07:00

Thanks Steve,

So basically while the flare is uncommitted I should be able to see if my powerpath devices are still visible under the new FLARE 26. That helps, since we only have one server left on powerpath. The one other issue I was concerned about was snapview. I believe I won't be able to test snapview until the flare is committed, is that correct?

Happyadm

77 Posts

November 3rd, 2009 11:00

Hi Steve,

Can you explain further? The FE doing the code upgrade informed me that until you commit, the cx-700 is still running the old flare code and that I cannot test the functionality of the new flare until the code is committed. I gave him my test plan and he asked me why I am testing before the code is committed. How did your customers manage to test the new flare version without committing?

Thanks!

Happyadm

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 4th, 2009 02:00

Hi There,
No sorry you have been given incorrect information.

The NDU process loads and activates the Flare bundle on one SP at a time, once both SP's have completed their reboots you are now running on the new Flare code.

This can be proved by typing the "navicli getagent" command which will show you are now running on the new Flare revision.

As part of most Flare upgrades you will find that the FRUmon code on the LCC cards of each DAE is also upgraded.

EMC Best practice & upgrade rules state that the code should not be committed until these FRUmon code upgrades have completed on all LCC cards.

As I said before you can run at the new flare without committing the code, but during this time you can not make any configuration changes, e.g. create new raid groups or bind new LUNs.

The new flare will show as active in the Flare properties screen or with a "navicli ndu -list" command, and the previous flare will show as deactivated.

Once you commit the previous flare is deleted.

77 Posts

November 4th, 2009 06:00

Hi Steve,

That's great! I look forward to doing the upgrade on Sunday. I understand what you saying about configuration changes, and nothing like that will be happening before the commit happens, however, I would like to reboot one of our Solaris servers(the last one running powerpath) just to make sure I can see the power devices. Rebooting a server connected to the Cx-700 before the commit takes place should be fine right? IThe agent version on the solaris server will stay at 19, I checked and that version is still compatible with FLARE 26.

Thanks again Steve, you have been very helpful!

Happyadmin

2.2K Posts

November 4th, 2009 08:00

Happy,
The hosts will not see a difference in the array between a committed and uncommitted state of the FLARE. A Host reboot is not a config change on the array so you are fine there.

77 Posts

November 4th, 2009 08:00

Thank you Aran!

November 10th, 2009 23:00

Host reboot is also not required during NDU upgrade , if all the Luns visible on the Server have been zoned properly with Multipaths.

And rel19 agent does work with Rel 26 Flare. so you should be all set.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 14th, 2015 06:00

Hi Steven,

I have a customer with the following questions.

On a VNXV2

What does a commit mean or what actions does it perform during a the commit phase.

Is the new code/fixes/features active after the upgrade  but before a commit?

Many thanks

Olivia Smith

4.5K Posts

July 17th, 2015 09:00

Once the NDU is completed but not committed, the new flare code is running on the array. All new features and fixes that are part of the new flare upgrade are installed and running. When you commit the new code, it deletes the old flare off the array and you can not revert back to the old code.

glen

No Events found!