Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: Re: Cannot deactivate admsnap session

Many thanks for this. I have used process explorer and it detects no active handles for the problem drive. I am having difficulty accessing the knowledge base article you provided but will continue to try to access this (email EMC for assistance).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

Re: Re: Re: Cannot deactivate admsnap session

Maybe that can help.

Why is "admsnap deactivate" command failing with "0x3e05003f Session exists but not deactivated" error?

Article Number:000029028 Version:1

Impact

Why is  "admsnap deactivate" command failing with "0x3e05003f Session exists but not deactivated" error?

Issue

The admsnap deactivate command fails with error: 0x3E05003F Session exists but not deactivated.

Environment

Product: CLARiiON FC4700
Product: CLARiiON AX100

Product: CLARiiON CX400

Product: CLARiiON CX600

Product: CLARiiON CX500

Product: CLARiiON CX700

EMC SW: Admsnap 2.2.x

EMC SW: SnapView 2.10.06

Cause

Admsnap deactivate will not delete the drive letter if the volume is in use by services or applications on the host.

Microsoft Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) service has an open handle on a LUN preventing deactivation of the snapshot session. WMI allows you to write scripts for the management of devices, user accounts, services, networking, and other aspects of a Windows system. Winmgmt.exe is the process file that must be stopped to free up the drive letter held open by WMI.

Change

Upgraded to Admsnap 2.2.0.0.14

Resolution

The latest revision of admsnap checks to make sure that no other process is using the drive before stripping away the drive letter. If a process is still using the drive, the drive letter will not be stripped away as previous revisions of admsnap did. Since this is a Windows operating system, you can run third-party utilities that will tell you which process has an open handle on that drive.  For example, one such utility can be found at:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/handle.shtml

If you install and run this utility, it will identify the processes that have an open handle on the drive in question. Those processes must be stopped before admsnap deactivate can remove the drive letter.  Issue the "net stop winmgmt" CLI command to stop the WMI service and release the drive letter. Finally, attempt to deactivate the SnapView session. If running a script, you can place the command in the script.

See also solution 29730 ("Services and applications that can prevent deactivating a snapshot volume").

Notes

Refer to solution 28637 for this same issue on other operating systems.  This also happens when using the admclone_deactivate. Solution 28637 also describes how to use the debug tool in admclone_deactivate and admsnap deactivate to identify what has the open handle on the drive in question.

glen

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: Re: Re: Cannot deactivate admsnap session

Many thanks to everyone for their useful comments. I haven't marked any as the correct answer yet as I have been using combinations of the suggestions to try and resolve things. There does not seem to be any active handles which are preventing snapshot deactivation.

I have looked at the article recommended below and found this useful. Although it didn't specify to do so, I have disabled monitoring of this server using Dell IT Assistant. This uses SNMP to monitor resource such as disk space etc and I thought this may have contributed to the problem. So far the snapshot has deactivated correctly (only once since I made the change) but fingers crossed this has resolved things

Services and applications that can prevent deactivating a snapshot volume or a clone LUN

https://support.emc.com/kb/29730

0 Kudos