Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 7th, 2013 08:00

Clariion Optimized for Backups?!?!

Hi,

We use a Clariion CX4-120 in our backup architecture and I am looking for documentation to Verify or if needed to change the configuration and make sure its optimized for backups.  Could someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks 

127 Posts

February 7th, 2013 08:00

Hi,

From EMC Support site, you can look for CLARiiON whitepapers section, where you can find some documents related to backup.

EMC Backup and Recovery for Microsoft Applications. Deduplication Enabled by. EMC CLARiiON and Data Domain

http://www.emc.com/collateral/software/white-papers/h7051-backup-recovery-microsoft-deduplication-clariion-wp.pdf

EMC CLARiiON Backup Storage Solutions: Backup-to-Disk Guide with. IBM Tivoli Storage Manager

http://www.emc.com/collateral/hardware/white-papers/h711-emc-bu-stor-ibm-tivoli-ldv.pdf

If you are looking anything specific, best place to look is whitepaper section of CLARiiON in EMC Support site.

Thanks

Madhusudan

474 Posts

February 8th, 2013 12:00

What is the backup application you are trying to optimize for? What type of backups?

Richard J Anderson

5.7K Posts

February 14th, 2013 02:00

Quite some time ago I had scripting in place that changed the cache settings during the backup window and change it back to normal during office hours. I only changed the page size from 8 to 16 kiB and this was purely done for accelerating the backups a bit. And it helped too! On this CX300 the backups were done about half an hour earlier than without this option set, but other than that I didn’t make any adjustments.

I can imagine when you’re using a Clariion as a backup target a lot of sequential writing will take place, so you can consider using RAID5 (8+1) for example or even RAID6 when you’re using larger drives like the 1, 2 or 3TB drives. Don’t use RAID Groups with 15 drives or so, since the chance that a full stripe write will occur will be far less than with a much smaller (8+2) configuration.

I’d look for the best practices of Flare 30 on a Clariion CX4, that’ll point you in the right direction for sure.

4.5K Posts

February 15th, 2013 08:00

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award points to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.

glen

No Events found!