Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 30th, 2010 12:00

Clarion Alert Event Number 720e

Alert:

Time Stamp 07/25/10 13:14:34 (GMT) Event Number 720e Severity Warning Host CX4_960_SPA Storage Array XXXXXXXXXX SP A Device N/A Description Initiator (xx:xx:xx:aa:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:aa:xx:xx:xx:xx:) on Server (abc) registered with the storage system is now inactive. It does not have a working physical connection. See Navisphere Manager for details.

Above alert receiving when Server reboots.

Analyzed SP collects, SWITCH Logs and confirmed that no issues with Storage and Switch from EMC support.

This host has two HBA. Why getting problem for one initiator? We restarted this server so many times –  we never   receive  the alert  before  July 25th . No changes done in SAN. Confused why this alert receiving now- why not earlier.

Please any one can help me to solve this issue.

41 Posts

August 4th, 2010 22:00

Case number: SR 35904316 .

Host team clearly siad no issues with HBA.  I can replace if i am sure the proeblem with HBA.

137 Posts

August 5th, 2010 00:00

Hello Muneer,

Just curious, can you give me a little more background information?

This is not a new install, and you have rebooted the host before without error. How often is this host rebooted?

When did you first see the issue? Do you know when the host was last rebooted without triggering the error?

Are you aware of any SAN/Host/Storage  changes between the last known 'good' reboot and a reboot where the delay is seen?

Thank you Muneer,

Nollaig

41 Posts

August 5th, 2010 01:00

Dears,

I am new in this fourum .  I am afarid Showing hostanme and HBA  of  one  of our  crtical server in this forum will raise security  concern

i would like to  close  this discussion here.

Thanks for all  your great help.

Best regards,

Munner.

38 Posts

Hi muneer,

I don't think you have an HBA issue here, but I'm a bit confused.

The host report for BBHOIMG01 that you provided in the Service Request shows two hba's only:

50-01-43-80-02-B1-18-5C

50-01-43-80-02-B1-18-5E

and IP address 10.0.11.110

but the clarion connectivity status shows 4 initiators logged in against the above IP address:

50-01-43-80-02-B1-18-5C

50-01-43-80-02-B1-18-5E

50:01:10:A0:00:85:85:52

50:01:10:A0:00:85:85:50

From which phisycal host are the last two WWPN's coming from?

It seems you have two hosts called "SMS" using the same IP address!

One host has these hba's logged in:

50-01-43-80-02-B1-18-5C

50-01-43-80-02-B1-18-5E

The other has these logged in:

50:01:10:A0:00:85:85:52

50:01:10:A0:00:85:85:50

I'm wondering if you have a problem with the way things have been configured!

Cheers, Paolo.

41 Posts

Just curious, can you give me a little more background information?

This is not a new install, and you have rebooted the host before without error. How often is this host rebooted?

Yes we rebooted twice on June 2nd and June 3rd 2010 without any issues.

When did you first see the issue? Do you know when the host was last rebooted without triggering the error?

From July25th --- Three times – each time clarion triggered alert

Rebooted twice on June 2nd and June 3rd 2010 without any issues.

Before that we never had any issues.

Are you aware of any SAN/Host/Storage  changes between the last known 'good' reboot and a reboot where the delay is seen?

yes only - one changes in Host side-  patch update.

41 Posts

Dear Park,  Is it good practise to uncheck the alert ?

4.5K Posts

August 5th, 2010 09:00

Munner,

The last post raised an important point - the HBA numbers seems to indicate that there may be two hosts with the same registered hostname and the same IP address - (I will not use the numbers) logged into the array.

On the clariion there is a Host registered with four HBA WWN's assigned and logged in  - this host was manaully registered on the array. The emcreport for the host that you said was this host has a different host name, but the two HBA's on this host are the same ones listed on a different host on the array. It appears that this may be your problem. Also, two of the HBAs (one from the host that you provided the emcreport for) and one from the other host are both logged in to SPB port 2.

You need to look very carefully at how these two hosts were manually registered on the array - this is probably not a supported configuration.

glen

1.3K Posts

August 8th, 2010 11:00

what is the host OS?  If its linux i guess the patching includes a kernel upgade after which the Power Path NEEDS resinstalled on the running/new kernel.

41 Posts

August 10th, 2010 03:00

Dears.

No other hosts registred in to this array .

i miised  to tell  one thing   we  renamed host in to  another name  very long abck . we have two HBA , two swithes .Multipathing  4 host inittiateres.

Clarion is identify host  by  wwn number not t by host name right?

Still i coud'nt get root cause of this problem.

Best regards,

Muneer.

4.5K Posts

August 10th, 2010 14:00

You may have to do two things to fix this:

1. shut down both the old host and the new host - those that had the same name

2. once these are shut down, remove the host from the Storage Group, go into Connectivity Status, locate the four WWN's that you saw in the Storage Group, and de-register those four paths, then restart Management Server on both SPA and SPB - this should clean out any old registration data - as it uses the WWNs

3. Once this has been done, turn on one of the hosts - the new one first, wait for it to log in and register - check in Connectivity Status - make sure that there are only two paths listed for this host, then add it back into the correct Storage Group. Then repeat with the second host - the second host does have a different host name and IP address correct?

glen

No Events found!