8 Krypton

Clones performance impact for application

Jump to solution
Planning to do a clone for a customized(home grown) database.As of today,Application was shutdown and files were copied manually.Suggesting them to stop the application,make a PIT clone session and bring up the application.

-->Question was while clone session is in sync application been up and running.Clone session sync means it is still copying the files.What would be the impact on this database.Is this uses a specific methodology of copying less busy block to more busier blocks?
-->While doing for the next incremental,Is it going to impact on the performance since it needs to track the changed blocks?
-->Also,Planning to keep the clones on RAID5(Source volumes are on RAID10).While data being copied obviously it needs to calculate the parity.Again it goes back to my first one.I assume the throughput is going to be slower because of common denominator.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Message was edited by:
srichev
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
8 Krypton

Re: Clones performance impact for application

Jump to solution
Hi Srichev,

->Question was while clone session is in sync application been up and running.Cone session sync means it is still copying the files.What would be the impact on this database.Is this uses a specific methodology of copying less busy block to more busier blocks?

During the initial(full) copy there will a performance drop as there will be a complete copy from the source spindles. Same time there will also be i/o from the application side. So there are multiple operations on the source spindle. So we have one hit from the clone copy operation while other from the application. Hence quite desirable that there will be a performance drop. Hence usually this is done at a low i/o activity. i prefer weekend

-->While doing for the next incremental,Is it going to impact on the performance since it needs to track the changed blocks?

Since this will be an incremental update, the changes marked will be available at the clone private lun. Hope they (CPL) do not belong to same group of spindles ( raid group) so this will lower the performance. So if this is on a different spindle, perf degradation will be very very less.I see it as ok.

-->Also,Planning to keep the clones on RAID5(Source volumes are on RAID10).While data being copied obviously it needs to calculate the parity.Again it goes back to my first one.I assume the throughput is going to be slower because of common denominator.

Going forward with the simple rule, everytime there is a parity calculation, there will be some processes utilized, Ideally this will have an effect on the array. Practically am not sure how much it does.

Hope atleast some doubts are clear.

Regards,
Vivek.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
8 Krypton

Jump to solution
Hi Srichev,

->Question was while clone session is in sync application been up and running.Cone session sync means it is still copying the files.What would be the impact on this database.Is this uses a specific methodology of copying less busy block to more busier blocks?

During the initial(full) copy there will a performance drop as there will be a complete copy from the source spindles. Same time there will also be i/o from the application side. So there are multiple operations on the source spindle. So we have one hit from the clone copy operation while other from the application. Hence quite desirable that there will be a performance drop. Hence usually this is done at a low i/o activity. i prefer weekend

Since this will be an incremental update, the changes marked will be available at the clone private lun. Hope they (CPL) do not belong to same group of spindles ( raid group) so this will lower the performance. So if this is on a different spindle, perf degradation will be very very less.I see it as ok.

Going forward with the simple rule, everytime there is a parity calculation, there will be some processes utilized, Ideally this will have an effect on the array. Practically am not sure how much it does.

Hope atleast some doubts are clear.

Regards,
Vivek.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

Jump to solution
Depending on the change rate of data in the database and the host i/o pattern, you could see a performance impact during an incremental synch as well. I had one SQL database that was an OLTP and during daily incremental synchs on a Cx700 the impact to production was enough to affect the application. So all synchs were scheduled to be done during the middle of the night to avoid business hours production impact.