Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 22nd, 2011 10:00

DISK GROUP vs RAID GROUP.

Other than for future virtual provisioning purposes for what other purposes should we use disk groups vs raid groups in clariions?

542 Posts

February 22nd, 2011 11:00

Well these are some of the benefits i can think of that storage pools have over traditional radi groups:

Storage tiering (FAST)

ability to make pools with large numbers of disk for more spindle performance and IOPS. (RG's are limited to 16 disks.)

abiltity to create both thick and thin lun's in pools

That is a few i can think of.  I am sure there are more.

542 Posts

February 22nd, 2011 10:00

Are you asking about storage pools vs raid groups instead of disk groups vs raid groups?

134 Posts

February 22nd, 2011 11:00

Yes that is correct, storage pools vs raid groups.

159 Posts

February 22nd, 2011 20:00

It is more fun to swim in a pool as opposed to a bathtub.   Really, the storage tiering and virtual provisioning are the main advantages.

134 Posts

February 24th, 2011 10:00

Great.. noticed some sarcasm there but it was it pointed me in the right direction so I am good. We have decided to go with Storage pools.

We have a total 51 disks and want to create 1 Raid-5 pool. Unisphere tells me that it recommends me using 50 disks and I could add 51 but I understand it will throw the pool configuration off.

Now that we have bought the disk is there an optimal use case for that 1 additional drive. I already have 2 hot spares configured for 51 disks we have so it cant go there.

No Events found!