hdrescue
1 Nickel

Re: DOD wipe fibre channel drives with CX-2PDAE

Hello,

You are saying a switch like this one? Brocade Silkworm 3200 8 Port Fiber Channel Gigabit Switch Netzwerk Switch | eBay

The idea is to detect the DEA as NAS device? by the network?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Hello,

Now you are mixing things up. We are talking about a fibre channel san switch. San stands for storage area network.

Each physical disk in the dae will turn up as a fibre channel device in the switch when connected. Then you can create a zone between the hba and this devices. Then the host should recognize them as scsi disks.

But if you are not familiar with FC/SAN basics it will be a steep learning curve.

The switch will do but it comes without gbics. Aside of the sfp/hssdc2 cable you need at least one gbic to connect the hba.

Regards

Michael

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

One question for clarification.

You want the secure erase the disks and then repurpose them ? Keep in mind that the disks are formatted with 520 bytes per sector. When you reformat them from windows with 512 bytes per sector you can use them as normal drives but a clarion array will not recognize them any more.

0 Kudos
hdrescue
1 Nickel

Hello

I don´t need to format them in windows, I just need to fill all drive with 00 (zeros). Using standard software for that will not change the sector size I think.

As I told I´m not experienced at all with FC/SAN basics and as I see its a bit hard to find out some information about it. I see this will not be easy for me to do without some support.

0 Kudos
hdrescue
1 Nickel

Hello one more time guys.

I found out that I have this fibre channel db9 hba(as the images below). My question is if I can use a cable like this New 2M Sanmina Sci Fibre Wire Cable DB9 to HSSDC | eBay  and be able to detect the drives in the enclosure or if is not that easy??

Thanks for your help

20160128_162307.jpg20160128_162259 (1).jpg

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

The level of support that you can get on this forum will probably be limited as most of us do not use the DAE's without the EMC Storage Processors as part of the configuration.

What you're suggesting is to take a DAE that contains disks and connect that DAE over Fibre Channel to a Fiber Channel controller in the Windows server then run the DOD erase program.

The older DAE's have two link control cards as the interface to the DAE. Each LCC connects to each disk and each disk has two ports.This is a fiber channel arbitrated loop connection inside of the DAE. It's possible from what I've heard (there have been a couple of people on this forum ask the same question and I remember one person was able to get this working, but he also knew a lot about fiber channel) that you could connect the DAE to an HBA in a host and somehow get that working. I'm betting that most of us have not tried this.

glen

0 Kudos
dream123
1 Copper

Re: Re: DOD wipe fibre channel drives with CX-2PDAE

Hi,

I read your post from 20/Jan/2016 3:07 that you have a solution to wipe a stand alone FC HDD.

"I have hardware to wipe them but is slow because I can connect just 1 drive each time.. this is really slow as I have around 200 to wipe."

I've a simillar situation for 7 disks so your solution would suite my needs perfectly.

Can you share your solution with me?

Thanks in advance,

JM

0 Kudos