Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 6th, 2015 07:00

Enclosure SPE SPS B Cabling State: Cabling Status is unknown

Hi,

I have the same problem with CX4-480 Flare: 04.30.000.5.522.

The Vendor changed 2 times the SPS and the serial cable between SPS and SP.

In this particular case, error Cabling Status Unknown, the failed controller B, the controller of battery A also assume the cache controller B? Ie my cache would not be turned off because the batteries are mirrored? Only there is a risk of data loss if the error existed in dua enclosures SPE SPS?

I used the following solution:

Workaround:

Use the following workaround in order of increasing impact for immediate mitigation to the problem:

1. Pull sense cable inspect for pushed pins, replace if necessary. If not, hold out for at least three seconds then re-insert. Perform the action on the peer SP only if necessary.
  2. Reboot the SP on the side that is reporting the error.
  3. Reboot the other SP.

The fault has disappeared, but I wonder if my concept cited above is correct? One would also tell me the mode of operation of these SPS?

Note: We no longer deal with EMC because I work in government and the administration does not want to renew the contract for not being with available cash.

4.5K Posts

July 6th, 2015 14:00

On the CX4 arrays the SPS is the battery backup. There is one SPS per SP. There is one cable that connects each battery to one SP. In the back of the cabinet SPA is on the right and SPB is on the left. The battery on the right will connect to the SP on the right and same for left side.

The cable sends status to the SP about the battery's state - dead, charging, good, etc. On the CX4 the cable connects to the Management Module. In some older versions of the CX4 Management Module, the circuit that the cable connects to can become locked up and stop working, then the cable status becomes unknown. The easiest way to unlock the circuit on the SP is to reboot the SP. You would do this after ensuring that the SPS is working - check the status lights on the SPS. Check the cable to see if there are any pushed pins or damaged pins in the cable. If the cable and the battery are good, then a reboot of that SP should fix the problem.

glen

No Events found!