Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 30th, 2010 08:00

Event number 904

I'm getting the below message on our CX-300 SAN but everything in Navisphere looks perfect.

We've replaced both battery units and one of the power supplies but still get this message.

Any ideas?

Time Stamp 03/30/10 11:48:10 Event Number 904 Severity Error Host CX30x01SPB Storage Array APM00000000000 SPB Device Enclosure 0 Power A Description VSC Shutdown/Removed

Thanks,

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 1st, 2010 11:00

If you're seeing the event every day it is not due to the weekly battery test as it only takes place once a week. There is no way to select a daily test.  However, to check the testing time in the Navispher GUI expand the "Physical" array until you see the standby power supplies.  Right click on each unit and select "Set Test Time" (setting the time and date on one one will be automatically migrated to the other).   It will show you the current test time and day.

Is there a temperature problem in the computer environment?  There are temperature sensors in the power supply which could trigger it to shut down.  Do the errors occur close to the same time every day? Is there possibly something blocking the air flow to the power supply fans?   Are there fan faults being logged also?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 1st, 2010 10:00

The error could be due to the weekly battery test.   Check the logs to see if the event occurs every seven days at about the same time of day.

13 Posts

April 1st, 2010 11:00

Yes,

That's what we are thinking to, although the log is showing the battery

test running every day not just once a week.

How can I look at the schedule?

David

4 Posts

December 22nd, 2010 21:00

Did you get to the bottom of this?  It seems that our CX4 array's sufferring from the same symptom.  Thanks : )

13 Posts

December 23rd, 2010 05:00

It still occasionally happens on the CX-3 with no apparent impact to usability.  We are trying to get all our production data moved off to the CX4.  The CX4 has been running sold with no other issues other than what we reported early on.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

David

4 Posts

December 23rd, 2010 14:00

That's ok, there's no need to say sorry.  Our CX4 had a FLARE revision updated from 04.30.000.5.508 to 509 yesterday and half an hour after the update, the "VSC Shutdown/Removed" and "VSC Installed" messages stopped.  I'm not entirely certain if the FLARE update had addressed the issue or not since it was only yesterday that we performed the update.  However, it is looking promising.  EMC did say that the FLARE update addresses a number of major issues from R30.508 and earlier.  Perhaps event number 904 is one of them?

Phil

December 24th, 2010 23:00

If you are interested in the fixes/features of a FLARE release, these are referenced in the Release Notes which can be obtained from the following location in PowerLink:

Home > Support > Technical Documentation and Advisories > Hardware/Platforms Documentation > CLARiiON CX4 Series Systems > CLARiiON (Insert Model) > Release Notes

For each of the CLARiiON CX4 models, they link to the same document:

"EMC CX4 Series FLARE Operating Environment Version 04.30 Release Notes"

I scanned the PDF and didn't see explicit mention of this as being addressed.  However, it could very well have been (and not mentioned) or just coincidental that it cleared up (maybe with the SP reboots).

4 Posts

January 6th, 2011 17:00

Sorry for the late response.  It seems I may have spoken too soon.  The update of the FLARE did not address the issue.  The array is still generating more 904 events.  Thank you for the how-to on reading up on the release notes of the FLARE releases, it is very useful to know... much appreciated.  Once the 904 event is address, I will update this post again.

4 Posts

January 20th, 2011 16:00

EMC identified a batch of faulty power supplies and have replaced all our power supplies with a batch released at a different time period.  Since the full replacement, we have not seen any 904 events.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 13th, 2014 07:00

this error has something to do with the flare version ??

January 14th, 2014 23:00

christy_mathew wrote:

this error has something to do with the flare version ??

No, at least for this specific incident, while early on it was thought to have been suppressed after a code upgrade at that time; it had eventually repeated itself.  Only after replacing power supplies (as identified by EMC support) did it finally stop reporting the specific event.

No Events found!