Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 25th, 2010 07:00

Global monitoring Templates

In creating a monitoring template, I noticed that under the the different types Critical, Warning, Informational that there are alerts that seem to be close to the same (i.e. Critical - 0x0908 - Hardware Fault - Cache Disabling, then under Informational there is  0x0659 - Cache Disabling.  Doing some research I found a note at the bottom of a primus solution stating that:

Over the years, there have been variations in the messages generated by different versions of CLARiiON hardware, FLARE code and Navisphere Agent code. As well as different code numbers, the formatting of spaces and characters in the messages can also affect the way that navilog_mon parses the agent.log.

Which got me thinking if I have arrays of various types CX, CX3, CX4 all running different flare code versions will I get an alert if I just create a template using the Criticals and Warnings.

Thanks,

Bing

30 Posts

May 25th, 2010 12:00

Bing,

I would suggest using the 2 templates specified in the previous post (6.29.1 / 6.29.2).  Yes you can monitor multiple arrays with a single template, serial number and siteID is not required in the EMC emailhome portion of the template, the EMC service request will be opened up in our database based on the serial number of the array and the siteID where it is showing up as installed.  I am assuming this a distributed monitor solution where emails are sent to your mail relay and then to EMC.  On notifications to you the body of the message must be observed to see which serial number array is generating the alert.

433 Posts

May 25th, 2010 08:00

Hi  Bing,

Your Question states that you want to know weather "CX, CX3, CX4 will give you a alert if you create a Global single template".

Well the answer to this is

A central Centralized Monitor Dial Home Navisphere monitoring agent must be installed on your  Windows workstation; this agent is capable of monitoring up to 1,000 storage processor agents, which equates to 500 CLARiiON CX4, CX3, or CX series storage systems. This configuration uses a modem to transmit the event packets to EMC.

If you want Centralized Monitor E-mail Home for Windows with WebEx This configuration is similar to the classic configuration, except that no modem is used in the customer’s environment. Event-message packets are delivered to EMC through e-mail; remote access to the Windows management workstation is through WebEx Support Center service, using the Internet. For this configuration, the Windows workstation on which CLARalert is installed must have Internet access.

And the last Centralized Monitor E-mail Home for Windows Workstation This Navisphere monitoring agent is installed on the customer’s Windows workstation and is capable of monitoring up to 1,000 storage processor agents, which equates to 500 CLARiiON CX4, CX3, or CX series storage systems. This configuration uses e-mail to deliver the event packets to EMC. EMC Remote 5.02 (TPM version) host and client are installed on the Windows workstation and are used to provide remote-access capability to the storage system.

So i can summarize my solution as tha yes you would get alerts even if all the arrays are in the same domain.

Rupal Rajwar

e-Services

30 Posts

May 25th, 2010 08:00

For CX/CX3/CX4 array you should download the latest version of CLARalert from EMC Powerlink.  Please note that CX4 arrays running R29P006 should use the 6.29.2 template and R29P003 or earlier versions should use the 6.29.1 template.  When importing the template the only settings should be changed are clearing the log to system log checkbox in the general tab.  These templates are already set with all the proper event triggers that will be forwarded to destinations as specified by the template.

96 Posts

May 25th, 2010 12:00

Rupal,

So I guess my next question would be:  How does the Single Global Template handle the multiple Email home addresses and site id's , Serail Numbers that would normally be required by EMC.

As of now I have a template for each array with the array name, serial number, and site ID for that array.  I would prefer a single template that can still perform this function.

Thanks,

Bing

433 Posts

May 26th, 2010 09:00

Hi Bing,

Thanks for the acknowledgement.

Here i would say again that yes the Single Global Template handle the multiple Email home addresses by assigning this single template to the hosts aligned under the monitor Tab.

In CX 4 Global Monitoring this agent is capable of monitoring up to 1,000 storage processor agents, which equates to 500 CLARiiON CX4, CX3, or CX series storage systems.

Also you can see Todd's comment that is also explaining the same. If you are using centralized Claralert latest one i.e 6.29 it gives you enormous features.

Rupal Rajwar

e-Services

9 Posts

March 29th, 2011 10:00

What is the email address if we want to send the email notification directly to emc.

No Events found!