8 Krypton

Hot Spare Best Practices

I have a CX3-40c running FLARE 24 which currently has 2 FC hot spares set up. I recently added a 15 drive 1 TB SATA II shelf and created two RAID 5 (6+1) and would like to use disk 14 as the hot spare.

I created a RAID Group with a high number (like my other hot spares) and as I look through the properties I see some differences and need to know if this is an active hot spare or not.

The 2 FC hot spares properties have the following:
General Tab
Total Capacity 268 GB
Free Capacity 0 GB
Hot Spare Replacing:Inactive
Expansion/Defrag Medium
Disk Tab
Shows the Hot spare as Inactive
Partition Tab
Shows all the space Bound

The new SATA Hot Spare
General Tab
Total Capacity 917 GB
Free Capacity 917 GB
Hot Spare Replacing:N/A
Expansion/Defrag Medium
Disk Tab
Shows the Hot spare as N/A in an unbound state
Partition Tab
Shows all the space Free

I cannot find in the user guide anything on binding a hot spare...is that my issue...that I have not bound it?

Also if I do have Hot Spare Replacing...how do I invoke that...it seems like a good thing to have according to the Hot Spares Best Practices...any feedback will be appreciated!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: Hot Spare Best Practices

is there a LUN bound in that hot spare raid group, should see it under private LUN.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

If I expand the LUN Folders and look under Private LUNs I do not see the SATA II hot spare listed. In my post I stated I had not bound the LUN....is that why it is not listed?
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Seeing there is free capacity on the SATA it probably doens't have the hot spare lun bound.

Good Call dynamox!!!

-Ryan
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

typically when you create a raid group and specify raid type "hot spare" it will create private LUN for you. You can create it manually.
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

There was just a fix for Flare 28 I think, it wouldn't bind the lun for you and it was very misleading having a hot spare raid group with no hot spare. Manual creation is needed in those cases.

-Ryan
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Sorry to be so dense :-) but if I bind the LUN will it then make it private?

I would think the process of creating the RAID Group and selecting the hot spare option would do this....So to be clear...how do I manually create this so it is private and active? Thank you!
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

yes, select create LUN and specify raid type "Hot spare"
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

You simply create (or bind) a LUN (LUN ID may be on the higher range as per your other two Hot Spare LUNs) - specify the new Raid Group you created and choose the RAID Type as HS (Hot Spare) - it will be a private LUN automatically.

Thanks,
Sandip
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

everything is bigger in Texas ..except their network pipes ? You are late by one minute my friend ;)
0 Kudos