Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 16th, 2009 13:00

Hot Spare Best Practices

I have a CX3-40c running FLARE 24 which currently has 2 FC hot spares set up. I recently added a 15 drive 1 TB SATA II shelf and created two RAID 5 (6+1) and would like to use disk 14 as the hot spare.

I created a RAID Group with a high number (like my other hot spares) and as I look through the properties I see some differences and need to know if this is an active hot spare or not.

The 2 FC hot spares properties have the following:
General Tab
Total Capacity 268 GB
Free Capacity 0 GB
Hot Spare Replacing:Inactive
Expansion/Defrag Medium
Disk Tab
Shows the Hot spare as Inactive
Partition Tab
Shows all the space Bound

The new SATA Hot Spare
General Tab
Total Capacity 917 GB
Free Capacity 917 GB
Hot Spare Replacing:N/A
Expansion/Defrag Medium
Disk Tab
Shows the Hot spare as N/A in an unbound state
Partition Tab
Shows all the space Free

I cannot find in the user guide anything on binding a hot spare...is that my issue...that I have not bound it?

Also if I do have Hot Spare Replacing...how do I invoke that...it seems like a good thing to have according to the Hot Spares Best Practices...any feedback will be appreciated!

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 16th, 2009 13:00

is there a LUN bound in that hot spare raid group, should see it under private LUN.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 16th, 2009 14:00

everything is bigger in Texas ..except their network pipes ? You are late by one minute my friend ;)

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

yes, select create LUN and specify raid type "Hot spare"

If I expand the LUN Folders and look under Private LUNs I do not see the SATA II hot spare listed. In my post I stated I had not bound the LUN....is that why it is not listed?

1.5K Posts

You simply create (or bind) a LUN (LUN ID may be on the higher range as per your other two Hot Spare LUNs) - specify the new Raid Group you created and choose the RAID Type as HS (Hot Spare) - it will be a private LUN automatically.

Thanks,
Sandip

1.5K Posts

I hear you - but this happens very often with me :) - so I don't mind to follow you .. :) -

The reality is - All day I was busy with many things and could not check the forums - when I saw it I was tempted to answer this thread :)

Anyway - we all are happy as long as we can be of any help :)
Cheers,
Sandip

261 Posts

Seeing there is free capacity on the SATA it probably doens't have the hot spare lun bound.

Good Call dynamox!!!

-Ryan

Sorry to be so dense :-) but if I bind the LUN will it then make it private?

I would think the process of creating the RAID Group and selecting the hot spare option would do this....So to be clear...how do I manually create this so it is private and active? Thank you!

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

typically when you create a raid group and specify raid type "hot spare" it will create private LUN for you. You can create it manually.

261 Posts

There was just a fix for Flare 28 I think, it wouldn't bind the lun for you and it was very misleading having a hot spare raid group with no hot spare. Manual creation is needed in those cases.

-Ryan

1.5K Posts

July 16th, 2009 15:00

Great - you have done it. No need to worry about the Hot Spare Replacement status - in normal case, it will be inactive - unless there is a disk failure and the hot spare replaces the failed disk.

So - you are now good :) - If you look at your FC Hot spares - it is the same :)

Thanks,
Sandip

Update:

Ok I was able to Bind the LUN and now has a private LUN within the RAID Group, and the hot spare is ready....but the hot spare is inactive. Any suggestions on how to make the Hot Spare Replacement active?

This is how I created the Hot Spare:
I right clicked on RAID Groups and selected Create RAID Group and I then selected the RAID Group ID (237 in this case) and with 1 disk and then selected Hot Spare...then clicked apply.

Is this the proper process to create a hot spare? Is there another way to create the hot spare?

If this is correct why is the hot spare showing all space free and how can I manually make this appear in the Private LUN list with my other Hot Spares?

If I right click on the new SATA II hot spare (237) I have the following options:
Destroy
Properties
Bind LUN (is this the process to make the LUN private?)

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 16th, 2009 20:00

i am just messing with you Sandip, your answers are always very thorough. Happy Friday !
No Events found!