8 Krypton

Re: Hot Spare Best Practices

I hear you - but this happens very often with me :) - so I don't mind to follow you .. :) -

The reality is - All day I was busy with many things and could not check the forums - when I saw it I was tempted to answer this thread :)

Anyway - we all are happy as long as we can be of any help :)
Cheers,
Sandip
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

This is how I created the Hot Spare:
I right clicked on RAID Groups and selected Create RAID Group and I then selected the RAID Group ID (237 in this case) and with 1 disk and then selected Hot Spare...then clicked apply.

Is this the proper process to create a hot spare? Is there another way to create the hot spare?

If this is correct why is the hot spare showing all space free and how can I manually make this appear in the Private LUN list with my other Hot Spares?

If I right click on the new SATA II hot spare (237) I have the following options:
Destroy
Properties
Bind LUN (is this the process to make the LUN private?)
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Update:

Ok I was able to Bind the LUN and now has a private LUN within the RAID Group, and the hot spare is ready....but the hot spare is inactive. Any suggestions on how to make the Hot Spare Replacement active?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

Great - you have done it. No need to worry about the Hot Spare Replacement status - in normal case, it will be inactive - unless there is a disk failure and the hot spare replaces the failed disk.

So - you are now good :) - If you look at your FC Hot spares - it is the same :)

Thanks,
Sandip
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

i am just messing with you Sandip, your answers are always very thorough. Happy Friday !
0 Kudos