Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 15th, 2014 21:00

Hot Spare Count and Proactive Copy

Article 7605 recommends 1 spare per 30 drive count.  And the same recommendation can be found in VNX Applied Best Practices Guide.

But I am surprised there is no mention of the Proactive Copy feature.  In a small array with only 2 DAEs (30 disks) and a single hot spare Proactive Copy would never be invoked.  As a reminder, the proactive copy rules discussed in article 184475 require >1 available hot spares.

Proactive copy seems like a good feature to enable, but is there a reason this is not mentioned in the recommendations?

37 Posts

November 22nd, 2014 11:00

Hi Vince,

If flare is initiating copy to hotspare function, 1 hotspare is fine. However, if user is manually invoking a hotspare for proactive copy, then you need to have at least 2 hotspares configured on array keeping 1 reserved for flare initiated proactive sparing.                                         

4.5K Posts

November 18th, 2014 13:00

there is no difference - hot spare requirements are at least 1 hot spare per 30 disks on the same type. Proactive Hot sparing just means you need at least 1 hot spare not currently in use for this to work - as long as it is not for the same raid group or for a different type of disk.

glen

12 Posts

November 18th, 2014 21:00

Well article 184475 says you need >1, i.e. at least 2 spares for proactive copy to initiate.  That's what seemed at odds with the "all you need is 1" best practices recommendation.

Talking with support about 184475, the response was there are two scenarios for proactive copy.  There is user initiated proactive copy and FLARE initiated proactive copy.  User initiated requires 2 spares, FLARE initiated only 1.

I asked for the article to be revised to explain this distinction. 

4.5K Posts

November 24th, 2014 07:00

KB Article 7605 has been updated to include the information about the minimum number of disks needed if a user initiates a Proactive Copy.

Thank you for pointing this out.

glen

No Events found!