8 Krypton

How do I add new luns to the reserved lun pool in Unisphere?

Hi,

We have a new CX4/480 that is running Unisphere.

I need to add new luns to the reserved lun pool.

When I try to create a lun , the only choices I have are pool luns and a hot spare raid group.

How do I create a lun that I can add to the reserved lun pool?

Also, can I add a thin provisioned lun to the reserved lun pool?

Thanks,

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: How do I add new luns to the reserved lun pool in Unisphere?

You create regular LUNs and then add them to RLP

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

The issue is that I can't create "regular " lun in Unisphere.

The create lun option in Unisphere only offers me Pool and Raid Group and the Raid Group is for a Hot Spare.

Unisphere is different than Navisphere.

Where is the option to create a "regular" lun in Unisphere?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

You will create the RLP lun's in a raid group.  once they are created, then you will go and add them the the RLP.  so yes they are normal lun's  there isnt an option to create a "RLP lun".

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

If your question has been answered please mark the question Answered and award points to the person witht the most correct answer?

glen

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

hi there,

re first question: just checking, do you have spare drives to be able to create a standard RG or are they all being used for the pool? Luns in the pool can't be used for the reserved lun pool. If you have few unbound drives, you must create standard RG's first, then you can create traditional luns that can be put into the reserved lun pool.

The answer to question 2 is: no, you can't use thin luns in the reserved lun pool, must be traditional luns.

Cheers, Paolo.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Just wanted to add to what was already mentioned.  Reserved LUN pool LUN's can come from a pool structure, but they must be thick.  As noted in the Virtual Provisioning Guide:

pool.bmp

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

thank you Christopher for correcting me...much appreciated.

Cheers, Paolo.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

You might also want to review the Reserve LUN's White Paper:

White Paper: EMC CLARiiON Reserved LUN Pool Configuration Considerations - Best Practices Planning

http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1/en_US/Offering_Technical/White_Paper/h1585-clariion-resvd-lun-wp.p...

glen

vvn007
1 Copper

Create normal LUN from the pool and go to Data protection --> Reserved LUN Pool --> Configure --> Select that LUN from available LUNs and add to Global Pool LUNs. This way we can change a Normal device to RLP device.

0 Kudos