Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2012 21:00

How to change the Recipients/cc CX4-120 heart beat alerts.

I would like to change the RSC_FCNCXXXXXXXXXXXX.xml Recipients/cc emails.

Is it possble to change from unispshere ?

5.7K Posts

November 23rd, 2012 01:00

all messages follow the same path, so you cannot direct heartbeats to another address as the regular emails.

If you want to change it, you need to change the notification template.

5.7K Posts

November 23rd, 2012 02:00

I was told that EMC HAS to get these emails, no matter what, so we weren’t allowed to uncheck these.

1.4K Posts

Aplogies that you were misinformed.

However, I believe these documentation would suffice:

How to turn off the heartbeat alert for CLARiiON CX4 series arrays

'The array is alive. The heartbeat event is generated once every 7 day(s).'

Ankit

1.4K Posts

Follow these steps to turn off the event:

1. Log in to Unisphere. 

2. Select the Serial Number from the Unisphere Dashboard.

3. Go to Monitoring > Event Notification > Distributed Monitors Tab >  Under Templates in Use right-click the template > Stop using. 

4. Go to Notifications Template Tab

5. Right-click stopped template > Properties  > Advanced  > Expand information > Basic Array features and find and uncheck the event not required, in this case 0x2011.

6. You will then have to right-click the array and select "Monitor Using" that will present the template list.  

7. Select the template that was just modified from the list and then click OK.

8. If instead you want to enable the heartbeat, check the box next to the 0X2011 event and then follow Steps 6 and 7.

The heartbeat is a way to let EMC know that the e-mail/dial home function is still working by e-mailing or dialing home once a week. Once, you uncheck the box no one will be able to receive it as a notification email but one can always check it from SP Events, if required.

5.7K Posts

the links don't work for me

5.7K Posts

November 23rd, 2012 03:00

Thank you !

1.4K Posts

Refer KB Article: emc244959 & emc285687

5.7K Posts

I just wonder why you would turn of the heart beat messaging anyway.

Is there a way to configure the time or day an array emails its heartbeat? That would certainly help!

1.4K Posts

No Problem. Happy to help.

1.4K Posts

RRR wrote:

I just wonder why you would turn of the heart beat messaging anyway.

Is there a way to configure the time or day an array emails its heartbeat? That would certainly help!

Yes, you can always set the threshold, interval and delay.

February 12th, 2013 15:00

Perhaps the fact that it says "Severity: CRITICAL" and the message itself doesn't say "Ignore this" message is enough to indicate why people want to turn it off.

WOLF.  W O L F     W   O    L   F

Bad design.

February 12th, 2013 18:00

So just to be clear here, and to RRR's point, do not modify the engineering template that is configured to be sent to emailalert@emc.com for EMC support to monitor.  The concerns that I see in the field is that users (aware of the Engineering password) modify the template and add themselves to the list of the recipients.  Then they start asking about certain events which were more-or-less intended for EMC (but I'm not necessarily suggesting that a heartbeat alert isn't useful for end-users).  Then they either disable alerts or add alerts.  I won't agree or disagree though about whether or not its category is correct.

For a block only array, if you want a set of alerts emailed to an internal email address, you would create a NEW template and modify it all you want.  Then you would apply to the SP's; yes, more than one template can be applied to the SP's.  Furthermore, if you are interested in the same events that EMC receives, then you could "Create Template Based On" and select the engineering template and then use as-is or modify that all you want.  Furthermore, where the original requires the engineering password to modify, this will no longer be the case with the cloned template.  Also to mention it, do not include EMC as a list of recipients on this copy (and vice versa).

Now, for unified arrays and where the user also configures "Email User" which are the same events sent to EMC but not in the BASE64 and/or encrypted format as Connect Home there is no choice but to ignore it as the KB article suggests.

No Events found!