happyadm
3 Silver

How to decommission cx-700

Hello,

We are shutting down our data center in a few months. All of our Oracle disgroups, etc, are on the cx-700. After logically removing the diskgroups from the servers(deport, unmount file systems), what are the steps I can take to unbind all luns at once within a storage group instead of doing them one at a time?

Thank you!

Happadm

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Allen Ward
5 Tungsten

Re: How to decommission cx-700

Short of having the array reinitialized, I don't think there is any way to "mass destroy" LUNs.

Probably your best bet would be to script something with NaviSecCLI that you can feed the LUN IDs to.

happyadm
3 Silver

Thanks Allen. So if I want to completely reintialize the array, what do I do?

0 Kudos
dynamox
7 Thorium

Once you take them out of the storage group, can't you highlight multiple LUNs and select unbind ?

0 Kudos
happyadm
3 Silver

I hope so, I am putting together the project plan for the final shutdown and so I won't know until I try it.

0 Kudos
Allen Ward
5 Tungsten

Is the array being completely decommissioned, or shipped elsewhere for reuse?

If it is a total decommission, you may want to consider just leaving it as is and engaging EMC to do a certified wipe of the array. That will certainly take care of it for you, as well as making it safe to dispose of however you like.

0 Kudos
happyadm
3 Silver

It's looking like we will be getting it ready for a reseller so I am assuming we would want to wipe it clean at this point.

0 Kudos
Allen Ward
5 Tungsten

If it is going to a reseller I highly recommend getting it wiped clean and certified. If you don't you run the risk of your data being recovered and showing up where you least expect (or desire).

0 Kudos
happyadm
3 Silver

Great, thank you Allen and Dynamox!

0 Kudos
AranH1
4 Ruthenium

The secure data erasure services is a professional services engagement and you will have to purchase the serivces. That has been my experience, the service was not provided for free.

0 Kudos