Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

April 6th, 2010 07:00

How to decommission cx-700

Hello,

We are shutting down our data center in a few months. All of our Oracle disgroups, etc, are on the cx-700. After logically removing the diskgroups from the servers(deport, unmount file systems), what are the steps I can take to unbind all luns at once within a storage group instead of doing them one at a time?

Thank you!

Happadm

2.1K Posts

Short of having the array reinitialized, I don't think there is any way to "mass destroy" LUNs.

Probably your best bet would be to script something with NaviSecCLI that you can feed the LUN IDs to.

77 Posts

I hope so, I am putting together the project plan for the final shutdown and so I won't know until I try it.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

Once you take them out of the storage group, can't you highlight multiple LUNs and select unbind ?

77 Posts

It's looking like we will be getting it ready for a reseller so I am assuming we would want to wipe it clean at this point.

77 Posts

Thanks Allen. So if I want to completely reintialize the array, what do I do?

2.1K Posts

Is the array being completely decommissioned, or shipped elsewhere for reuse?

If it is a total decommission, you may want to consider just leaving it as is and engaging EMC to do a certified wipe of the array. That will certainly take care of it for you, as well as making it safe to dispose of however you like.

2.1K Posts

April 6th, 2010 08:00

If it is going to a reseller I highly recommend getting it wiped clean and certified. If you don't you run the risk of your data being recovered and showing up where you least expect (or desire).

2.1K Posts

I've never seen a process for this, but I suspect it is something you would have to have a CE do for you.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

PS or CE will come out onsite with a secure erasure kit. It's a laptop connected to SPs ..where they PXE boot SPs and run multiple passes erasing the drives. We don’t' have to return our arrays so we shred our drives.

77 Posts

That's ok, thanks Aran!

2.1K Posts

Absolutely this is a paid engagement with EMC PS. I'm pretty sure they offer different levels of erasure as well (different number of cycles through the process).

2.2K Posts

The secure data erasure services is a professional services engagement and you will have to purchase the serivces. That has been my experience, the service was not provided for free.

77 Posts

Great, thank you Allen and Dynamox!

2.2K Posts

April 6th, 2010 09:00

It is worth it. We have to comply with HIPAA and SOX data requirements and are very sensitive about the handling of data. So this is a necessary service for a company like mine.

No Events found!