Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 15th, 2014 18:00

How to setup a clariion cx700?

Hello, I am new to SAN, we recently bought an used EMC Clariion CX700. It  comes with  almost 7 Tbs, but I am not able to setup. this ask for  windows 2003 server but we don't use it any more, and the laptops doesn't come with modem.

Is there  a way to install this equipment with a better explanation? when I try to install the Navisphere Manager 6.xx  "v01..1.5.001", doesn't allow me to installed in windows 7 laptop.

I wold like to know if is there a way that I can get into the san an manipulate the array and data and performance? I will be using EXSI 5.5 server. I really need to be able to configure with my laptop before add the san to my server.

Devices  that can with

1 power supply

2 rack of disks

1 fan with on console with fiber channel

2 fiber switches

and a lot of old cds.

I am A+, Microsoft Admin, and CCNA, but I am really new to san.

Some videos, Documents or previous experiences will help me, remember I am new and I don't know if I am able to connect only 1 laptop (Windows 7, without Modem, or com ports) to setup my EMC Clariion CX700.

Thank you in advance.

4K Posts

October 15th, 2014 19:00

CX700 is quite old, there is no dedicated support site for it now. You may refer to CX3's document: http://corpusweb130.emc.com/upd_prod_CX3/

Most steps should be same.

4.5K Posts

October 17th, 2014 14:00

Please see the two attached documents

glen

2 Attachments

6 Posts

November 5th, 2014 13:00

this is what I received later.

the time is not good neither.

. Storage System Failure - Contact your Service Representative ...

ErrorCode: 0x00000142

ErrorDesc:

Device: LCC 0 UART

FRU: STORAGE PROCESSOR

Description: LCC slot indicator Error!

SP Slot: SPB

LCC Slot: LCCA

READ command

check_lcc_cabling()

EndError:

ErrorTime: 01/21/2002 19:12:13

45 Posts

November 6th, 2014 02:00

Hi,

CX700 is an old but big system that has 3 component that need to be connected correctly so it will work:

* 2x SPS (the battery) - SPSa and SPSb

* 1x DPE - Where the proccesor connect

* 1x first DAE - . where the 5 code drives seats.

you need to make sure you have connected the system correct:

DPE + DAE - are both connected to SPS accordingly.

SPS serial cable is connected to the relevant SP

and your DAE got bus 0 enc 0 (see at the back) if not you will have to correct it.

your error refer to LCCA (this is the link card at the DAE, check that you have connected), check cable is connected okay.

4.5K Posts

November 6th, 2014 12:00

The two documents that I attached to my previous post should guide you in connecting the CX700 Storage Processors (a single enclosure containing the SPA and SPB Storage Processors - SPA in on the top and SPB is on the bottom. This is called the SPE (Storage Proccesor Enclosure). See Chapter 2 of the Hardware Reference guide for CX700 - this will guide you in connecting the cables correctly. The error reported above indicates a cabling issue.

The SPS (the battery backup) unit powers the Storage Processor (SPA and SPB) and the first Disk Enclosure (DAE). There is also a cable that connects from each of the SPS batteries - one cable to SPA side and the other to SPB.

The Storage Processors (SPA and SPB), then connect to the DAE using the backend cables.

glen

6 Posts

November 10th, 2014 12:00

CAM00231.jpgCAM00241.jpgCAM00232.jpgCAM00238.jpgCAM00240.jpg

1 Attachment

6 Posts

November 10th, 2014 14:00

CAM00245.jpgCAM00244.jpgCAM00243.jpgCAM00242.jpg

there are several lights yellow. the network card has a yellow blinking light next to the warning, the sps a/b has also yellow lights,in from there are green lights on the dae2 (the only one connected), only one controller connected, and a green and  yellow light in front. I don't know if  are there another problem?CAM00245.jpgCAM00246.jpgCAM00247.jpg

6 Posts

December 2nd, 2014 12:00

glen can you tell me with the pictures that I posted if there anything that I have to do.

I am trying to connect the only controller that I have to the enclosure 0 to see if I can see the storage, and later add the other enclosure.

4.5K Posts

December 9th, 2014 14:00

First - it's difficult to see clearly the connections. The DAE2 should have power to both sides, otherwise you get a fault indicator - the disk need two power supplies to properly power the DAE.

On DAE with the OS Disks, I can't see if you have them plugged in the correct slots. The 5 OS disks be in the left most slosts (0-4) starting on the left. Also, make sure that the DAE with OS drives is set to enclosure 0.

On the Storage Processor enclosure, make sure you have both power cords plugged in - same reason as above.

glen

6 Posts

December 10th, 2014 14:00

there are some pictures

5 Attachments

4.5K Posts

December 11th, 2014 11:00

Yes - I looked at the attached document with the picture - still had problems seeing all the connection, hence my last update. Just connect power to both sides of the DAE and the SP"s, then see what you get.

glen

4.5K Posts

December 17th, 2014 10:00

I'm a bit confused.

In one of the pictures you show the SP controller (the bottom slot is for SPA). Above is an DAE-ATA. The backend (BE0) is used to connect to the first DAE (not the DAE-ATA) - the one that contains the OS Drives (disk 0-4 looking at the front of the DAE - 0 is on the left and 14 is on the right). Those first 5 drives should have a label on them that indicates that these are the OS drives.

There should be Enclosure Number switch on the DAE - on the back in the middle between the power supplies there is a display that shows the enclosure number - there are two tiny buttons that you use to set the number - you need to ensure that is set to 0.

Connect the SP BE0 to the connector on the DAE SPA Side to the PRI connection. You want power to both sides of the DAE - there should not be any fault light. See chapter 3 for the faults on DAE.

glen

1 Attachment

No Events found!