LUN create via NAVICLI

I found the below in documentation

lun -create [-type Thin|nonThin]

-capacity capacity [-sq mb|gb|tb|bc]

-poolId storagePoolID |-poolname storagePoolName -sp SPID

[-aa autoAssignment]

[-l lunNumber]

[-name lunName]

I want to be able to have the script pick up the SP it will belong to just like the GUI does.

Is it possible?

I am currently specifying the SP but am afraid that it might result in me adding too many volumes to one SP.

I have tried -aa option but it errors out for me. I am missing something here.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
dynamox
6 Gallium

Re: LUN create via NAVICLI

you don't want to enable auto assignment anyway, you set it only when your host does not have any multipathing software. Are you creating a bunch of LUNs at once or this is for one here one there type of provisioning ?

yaribhas
2 Iron

I am trying to write a script which I can hand over to the UNIX group and they can assign the boot disk for new builds with out having to wait for us.

Currently I have it set up in a way that all new luns are created on sp a.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
dynamox
6 Gallium

i see. You will need to add some logic to your script to first get a LUN count on each SP and then alternate which SP you specify during LUN creation.

If it is UNIX it is easy to create script for NAVICLI  LUN create

If ur already having Raid groups then you can mention only that as a fixed variable and rest all u can amke it as user input variables

Example command is : naviseccli -h 10.186.59.213 bind r5 2999 -rg 2 -cap 60 -noinitialverify -sp A

You will have to create a function to call variable lunNumber,lunName,storagePoolID  and Capacity

You need call all these variables as inputsave

Like Let lunNumber = input('Enter Lun Number : ')

yaribhas
2 Iron

I will look for a command which will give me the lun count on each SP.

After that looks like a simple if else loop.

Thanks all

0 Kudos
kelleg
4 Ruthenium

I recommand that you do not script for Pool LUNs. You really want the array to pick the SP assignment for Pool LUNs. This ensures that the LUN will be placed on the SP best suited for any new LUNs.

glen

0 Kudos
dynamox
6 Gallium

Glen Kelley wrote:

I recommand that you do not script for Pool LUNs. You really want the array to pick the SP assignment for Pool LUNs. This ensures that the LUN will be placed on the SP best suited for any new LUNs.

glen

and how is "best suited" determined ?

0 Kudos
kelleg
4 Ruthenium

best suited is the way the array looks at all the resources in the Pool and determines where the new LUN should go (SP owner) based on the availability of the underlying LUNs for new slices - it tries to balance the loading on the LUNs base on capacity and ownership of the underlying LUNs.

glen

0 Kudos
yaribhas
2 Iron

This is ONLY going to be for boot luns. Any other disks will be performed via GUI and letting the array pick the SP.

Is there a way in command line which would allow the array to pick the LUN owner? If so that would be my priority.

Our server guys are trying to build 50 hosts at 1 time. This could get really tedious if we can not script.

I have not done it yet but I am all set to run lun create alternatively between SP's.

0 Kudos