deeppat
3 Argentum

Looking for some helpful DOC on Migration

Jump to solution

We 're swapping  out a NetApp with a VNX. Is there a good Doc here i can refer to ?

We 're looking into the possibility of migrating data using SAN Copy . Can any one please direct me to some Links where in I can go through EMC recommendation for migrating from Non EMC storage to EMC storage .

Thank you in anticipation!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dynamox
7 Thorium

Re: Looking for some helpful DOC on Migration

Jump to solution

San Copy does not support NetApp, you will need to rely on host based tools (robocopy/rsync)

https://elabnavigator.emc.com/vault/pdf/EMC_SAN_Copy.pdf

View solution in original post

4 Replies
dynamox
7 Thorium

Jump to solution

San Copy does not support NetApp, you will need to rely on host based tools (robocopy/rsync)

https://elabnavigator.emc.com/vault/pdf/EMC_SAN_Copy.pdf

View solution in original post

deeppat
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Thanks Dynamox !

Every thing is in planning stage , the talk is on with EMC engineering team to get a lincence that would support SAN copy to migrate Block data . I haven't got much detail as of yet .

0 Kudos
smarti2
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Are you saying you can use SANCopy for block migration from the NetApp or as Dynamox says it's not supported?

0 Kudos
umichklewis
4 Beryllium

Jump to solution

I believe deepat is referring to an RFQ, a Request for Qualification.  On a case by case basis, EMC engineering can approve SANCopy between unsupported hosts.  There are just caveats and complicated issues to work out.

I was once able to get an approved RFQ to support an iSCSI copy from Netapp to VNX, but only for a very specific, limited configuration.  And my coworker was unable to get something similar approved, because his configuration was a bit different (it involved SVC and MetroMirror, I believe).

But, I suspect Dynamox will ultimately be correct (isn't he always? :-)) and you'll need to move the data with host-based tools.

0 Kudos