Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 22nd, 2011 05:00

Lun provisioning in AX4-5F with 2TB Sata disks for sequential type of I/Os

Hi,

we have an AX4-5F with three raidgroups of raid 6 (8+2), composed of 2 TB Sata disks.

Only one AIX server that will be connected with TSM backup application configured for devclass= file >>> Sequential I/Os.

Concerning lun provisioning and from a performance point of view, what would be the best practice?

Use of metaluns or not?

Thanks in advance

SDE

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

February 22nd, 2011 20:00

in TSM is this going to be your primary pool and then you move data to tape ? The reason i ask is because if this LUN is going to be used to house your primary pool, there will be nothing sequential about that disk access. You will have clients sending data to it and at the same time you could be migrating data to your next pool, so the drive head will be flying all over the platter. I use SATAII drives on DMX3 as my TSM pool and if you look at heat maps for those drives, they are smoking hot, very busy. Now i have 128 Gig of cache sitting in front of those drives so a lot gets cached ..so be prepared to do some tweaking

159 Posts

February 22nd, 2011 20:00

I perfer not to use Meta LUNs from an ease of management perspective but if you need the I/Ops or Data Space, it won't hurt.  If you can, try using a single RG where possible.

2 Posts

February 24th, 2011 07:00

Hi,

we finally configured a total 120 luns of 350 GB each. (40 luns per raidgroup)

Afterwards we configured 40 striped metaluns, each with one lun per raidgroup. [(3 x 350 GB) x 40]

The filesystems in AIX should use all spindles.

Thanks to all.

4.5K Posts

February 24th, 2011 13:00

Please remember to mark the question as Answered when you get the correct or best answer. Also, please award points to the person providing the best answer.

glen

No Events found!