Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 8th, 2013 05:00

Mapping CX3-40 LUNs to Windows Disks

Hi all.

This shouldn't be all that difficult, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the information.  We have been assigned four LUNs on our SAN that were mapped to Windows disks before my time here.  We're tryingoto document our environment, and I've been asked to find out what disk is mapped to what LUN.  I've fiddled around with Powerpath and PowerMT, but neither seem to give me anything I can use to figure out what maps where.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Derek

1K Posts

November 8th, 2013 06:00

It doesn't give you the LUN number but it does give you the logical device ID. Every LUN on the array will have a unique logical device ID. How many LUNs do you have presented to this host? If it's only a handful just look at the logical device ID that the command gives you and find the matching ID in that host's storage group. Go to the storage group for that host and right-click on the LUN and select properties. You will see the LUN's device ID.

4 Posts

Ok, that may explain why I’m having so many problems. We’re a school within a school, as in the school of ICT for a post-secondary institution. As such, IS controls the overall environment, but we get to see and control what’s ours. As such, I don’t think I have access to the storage groups. I just get to see what’s presented to us. When I asked them about this, they first told me to go by size, but we have four 2TB LUNs, so that didn’t help. Then, they gave me the PowerMT command you sent me, but I’m still missing the very piece I asked for in the first place ☺.

So, I’m still stuck, but I’m willing to try anything at this point. Is there a way I can see the storage group (They’re all in the same one) without having direct access or admin rights to the SAN? Currently, all I have for tools is PowerPath and what comes with Windows. If there’s something else I need, I’ll do my best to get hold of it. I’m a long-timer in IT, but haven’t had much exposure to SAN environments, so please forgive me if I’m missing something simple.

Thanks again for your help.

Derek MacBeth MCSA

Technical Systems Analyst

School of Information and Communications Technologies

SAIT Polytechnic

1301 16th Ave NW

Calgary, Alberta

T2M 0L4

Phone: (403) 284-8714

Fax: (403) 210-4570

Derek.macbeth@sait.ca

1 Attachment

1K Posts

Run the following command on the server: powermt display dev=all

It will list all windows harddisk devices and LUN numbers associated with each harddisk device.

1K Posts

There is no way for you to see how the disks are configured on the storage array from the host. I would send the Logical device IDs to them and ask them to provide you the necessary info based on that. The storage admin will be able to give you that info if you provide the Logical device ID's to him.

4 Posts

That’s what I did, but I can’t see any thing that mapsto anything in Windows. Even PowerPath shows different names. Here’s the output from powermt.

Pseudo name=harddisk1

CLARiiON ID=APM00073201548

Logical device ID=60060160CA011D001AD0E740687AE011

state=alive; policy=CLAROpt; priority=0; queued-IOs=0;

Owner: default=SP A, current=SP A Array failover mode: 1

==============================================================================

86 Posts

If you look at the lines below the ==========================

they should be something along the lines of

0 port0\path0\tgt0\lun0    c0t0d0

the d0 (or lun0) is basically the Host LUN Address of the device on the Array assigned to the storage group. So if the storage admins allow you to 'look over their shoulders' while in Navisphere you can see what device is using which HLU.

unfortunately the information you have from the host side is not going to be complete given what you have shown us.

Also the amount of information PowerPath gives you concerning the LUN can depend on the version of PowerPath and also the version of the flare code on the clarion.

4 Posts

November 8th, 2013 09:00

Thanks to both of you for the information. Hopefully I can get our storage folks to provide the information.

Have a great weekend all.

Derek MacBeth MCSA

Technical Systems Analyst

School of Information and Communications Technologies

SAIT Polytechnic

1301 16th Ave NW

Calgary, Alberta

T2M 0L4

Phone: (403) 284-8714

Fax: (403) 210-4570

Derek.macbeth@sait.ca

1 Attachment

4.5K Posts

November 8th, 2013 11:00

For each LUN that shows on the powermt command, the Logical device ID is the number that each LUN on the array has assigned. As Ernes said above, send the storage admin the four ID's and they can match that to a LUN number.

Logical device ID=60060160CA011D001AD0E740687AE011

If you know the username/password for the array you could issue the following command to the array. The IP address you use is for one of the Storage Processors on the array , either SPA or SPB. This command returns the ID and the LUN number.

C:\Users\kelleg>naviseccli -h IP_Address_SPA getlun -uid

LOGICAL UNIT NUMBER 107

UID:                        60:06:01:60:8B:C9:22:00:0C:3B:4E:99:72:A7:E2:11

LOGICAL UNIT NUMBER 10049

UID:                        60:06:01:60:8B:C9:22:00:70:06:1A:14:33:46:E2:11

LOGICAL UNIT NUMBER 0

UID:                        60:06:01:60:8B:C9:22:00:FC:10:92:E1:B5:D1:E1:11

Of course if you have the username/password for the array you could just log onto the array and look for the Storage Group that you host belongs to.

glen

November 8th, 2013 15:00

You could also ask them to generate a LUN and also a Storage Group report (within Navisphere: Tools > Reporting > Generate Report...) for you.  While the admins may not want to give you access to the array, they may be willing to at least give you a report.

Then again, if you ask nicely they may consider giving you a Navisphere account.  While unlikely an account that has the ability to make changes, remind them that there is a role within Navisphere called monitoring.  That grants strictly read-only capabilities to view the configuration which includes being able to generate reports.  This account would also provide you the credentials necessary to run the command above as noted by Glen.

Finally, also already mentioned, depending on the code running (PowerPath, FLARE, Uni/Navisphere agent etc) in the powermt display dev=all command, next to the UID of the LUN you could also see the LUN name within square brackets.  By default (unless they change it) this is also the LUN ID.  I'd be curious as to the version of PowerPath you have running; based on the output, I'm thinking it is a little older:

powermt version

No Events found!