Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 11th, 2013 10:00

MetaLUNs across shelves

Hi,

We have a clariion cx-300i that was installed several years ago. (Flare 2.26.301.5.031)

Way back when the EMC engineer was first setting it up, he told us it was not a good idea (or maybe not possible, I dont remember which) to stripe raid sets across enclosures.

If this is true, does it apply to single-stripe (expanded) meta-LUNs? I presume it wouldn't matter for concatenated metaLUNs since the stripe for each component would stay on its own enclosure.

I need to create a fairly large metaLUN (750G to 1TB) and the only reasonble way to do it - without taking a whole shelf! - seems to be to create 3 components 275 to 330G (roughly) each... But if I do that, I'll have to use a concatenated metaLUN.

your thoughts are appreciated

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

December 11th, 2013 19:00

i am sorry i meant vertical. Even with vertical, just make sure component LUNs do not share raid groups. Unless you have an application that can move some serious data (backup application, huge datawareouse) , you may not see any difference in terms of performance (horizontal versus vertical).

Good paper to reference

https://www.emc.com/collateral/hardware/white-papers/h1024-clariion-metaluns-cncpt-wp-ldv.pdf

46 Posts

December 11th, 2013 13:00

Hi Dynamox,

thanks for the reply. By horizontal striping I presume you mean across enclosures (component 1 on enclosure 3, component 2 on enclosure 4, component 3 on enclosure 5 for example)?

Just want to double-check since I normally think of this as vertical striping....

thx

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

December 11th, 2013 13:00

you can create horizontally striped metas, just make sure that your MetaLUN components do not reside on the same raid group.

46 Posts

December 12th, 2013 05:00

Thanks a ton dynamox,

Performance was a secondary concern. The main issue was just getting the necessary space and I need to go vertical for that!

Thanks again for your help

No Events found!