Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 25th, 2008 07:00

Migrating VMware Data to Different LUNs

I'm looking to migrate VMware data to some larger LUNs with the goal of reducing the number of VMware LUNs. Does anyone know the answer to the following questions:

1) Can I migrate multiple metaLUNs to a single large metaLUN?

2) If I mount the large metaLUN before migration will VMware still be able to access the data during the migration?

149 Posts

1) you can migrate a metalun to a normal lun but you can not migrate multiple metalun to a larger single lun .
The relationship need to be 1:1 one source one target

2) You can't mount the destination lun during the migration , the source lun will still available to the host until the migration will finish and than the destination lun will be presented to the host . This process is completely transparent to the host you not need to mount or unmount any filesystem . Also keep in mind at the end of the process the source lun will be unbind by clariion .

Please for clarification on Lun migration process take a look of Navisphere administration guide from page 15-11

Here is the link to the document :

http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1/en_US/Offering_Technical/Technical_Documentation/300-003-511.pdf?mtcs=ZXZlbnRUeXBlPUttQ2xpY2tTZWFyY2hSZXN1bHRzRXZlbnQsZG9jdW1lbnRJZD0wOTAxNDA2NjgwMzU0ZThiLGRhdGFTb3VyY2U9RENUTV9lbl9VU18w

regards
Pierluca

142 Posts

Hi Paul,

1) In Navisphere with the migrate LUN future you can not migrate multiple metaluns to a single metalun.

2) Yes with VMotion (and I think it is the best solution in this case) you can affect the large metalun and do online migrations of your virtual machines.

Olivier

149 Posts

November 25th, 2008 08:00

Vmotion is good for migrating online virtual machine from one ESX server to another ESX server and also if you using vmware 3.5 you have the Storage Vmotion option .

This option allow you to migrate a virtual machine online from one storage lun to another one .

Lun migration and Vmotion are booth valid , lun migration inside the clariion is more transparent to the ESX server and require less user intervention , but the restriction mention in my previous post are apply .

Please take a look at the following white paper to understand how we integrate the vmware esx server with the clariion storage system and how you can use the feature provide by Vmware and clariion to accomplish your goal .

White Paper: CLARiiON Integration with VMware ESX Server - Applied Technology

http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1/en_US/Offering_Technical/White_Paper/H1416-emc-clariion-intgtn-vmware-wp.pdf?mtcs=ZXZlbnRUeXBlPUttQ2xpY2tTZWFyY2hSZXN1bHRzRXZlbnQsZG9jdW1lbnRJZD0wOTAxNDA2NjgwMzdiMGExLGRhdGFTb3VyY2U9RENUTV9lbl9VU18w

regards
Pierluca
No Events found!