Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 16th, 2011 02:00

MirrorView/A interaction with SAN Copy

Folks,

I have inherited a situation where CLARiiON CX3 and CX4 arrays are being used with VMware Site Recovery Manager for DR purposes.

The arrays are running SnapView, MirrorView/A and SAN Copy.  I understand the relationship between SnapView and MirrorView/A but can't quite get my head around where SAN Copy is being used.  It may be historical as I believe that prior to SRM we used Replication Manager with SAN Copy.  However,  I looked out some old training materials for MirrorView/A and found a reference to the fact that MirrorView/A actually uses Incremental SAN Copy (ISC) for its periodic updates (see below).  That would make sense in that the description of ISC talks about change and tracking bit maps, but what confuses me is that we are only using one port on each SP for MirrorView/A traffic and I thought SAN Copy could not share the same ports as MirrorView/A.  So does that mean SAN copy is not active or is there some sort of SAN Copy activity going on embedded within MirrorView A that gets around this?

Here is the quotation from the EMC Training Material:

"

SAN Copy, in the form of Incremental SAN Copy, performs the data transfer for MirrorView/A. It, in turn, makes use of

SnapView (on the primary storage system) to track updates to the Source LUN (primary image), so that they can be copied

to the secondary storage system as scheduled."

Regards,

Paul Esson

727 Posts

June 16th, 2011 06:00

You do not need to have SAN Copy license on your system for your MirrorView installation to work. You are correct in stating that MirrorView and SAN Copy cannot share the same SP port.

No Events found!