Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2009 15:00

Mirrorview/A iscsi connection

Hi All,

We are planning to implement the Mirrorview/A using the iscsi ports on clarrion.So, what I did is I assigend the IP addreses for the iscsi ports on source and remote arrays and every IP addreses on source and destination are pining.But when I go and see in manage mirror connection I am not able to see the remote array.Is there any thing else do we need to do to see the remote clarrrion array? And one morething our source and remote arrays are not in same domain..... And configuring thr IP addreses for iscsi ports on clarrion I selected the require inititor authentition is that is any problem?

Thanks,

4.5K Posts

November 30th, 2009 13:00

I believe that both arrays need to be able to talk to each other over the Management Ports as well as the iSCSI ports. You might want to ensure that you can ping from one array to the other array over the Management Ports.

You might want to disable CHAP until you get the connections working.

Try using the Wizard to make the connections - it seems to work better than manually setting up the connections.

glen

December 2nd, 2009 09:00

Which models Clariions (source and target) are you using ?

Which ports (numbers) are you using ?

The MirrorView (iSCSI) connections need to be configured on specific ports, otherwise you won't be able to connect the arrays with a MirrorView connection.

December 10th, 2009 16:00

if you click on the table you'll get a clearer view of the ports for the CX3 series.

On the CX4, you can right click on the array in Navisphere, and select 'Ports', and you'll get a list of ports along with their functionality.

So the lower numbered  ports on the IO flex modules (FC or iSCSI) will be SanCopy, higher numbered ports, MirrorView.  Also the ports which function as MirrorView or SanCopy ports may differ depending on how many IO Flex modules the CX4 was shipped out of the factory with, or if Flex modules was added later on into the array.

It's a very common thing I've had to deal with at a number of sites, the wrong ports connected and zoned, so that a MirrorView or Sancopy connection can't be configured between the arrays.

December 10th, 2009 16:00

mv.JPG

727 Posts

December 11th, 2009 11:00

I want to add a few points to what Faisal correctly mentioned in his post:

1. The highest numbered ports when the CLARiiON arrays are shipped out of the factory are reserved for MirrorView. This applies for Fibre Channel as well as iSCSI ports. So, irrespective of whether MirrorView is installed in the array or not, two ports are designated for use with MirrorView - one for FC and one for iSCSI - and cannot be changed after that. Even if you install new IO modules in the CLARiiON, the pre-designated MV ports will remain the same. When MirrorView is installed on the array, those specific ports will be used for MirrorView.

2. There are no reserved ports for SANCopy. The only restriction is that MirrorView and SANCopy cannot share any port on the array. If MirrorView is not installed on the array, any port on the array can be used for SANCopy. If MirrorView is installed in the array and the MV ports are being used, any CLARiiON port besides the reserved MV ports can be used for SANCopy.

3. MV and SANCopy ports can be shared with other host traffic. Ofcourse performance considerations should be taken into account before you decide to share a port between different applications.

34 Posts

December 13th, 2009 03:00

Raja,

I have read the other comments on this post and I am sure all of them are very useful for your effort. MV over iSCSI configuration is a tad stretched over FC. Have you configured MirrorView iSCSI SP Connections? Tight click on the array-> iSCSI -> Connection Between Storage Systems. Then add appropriate ports and if CHAP is used, configure these options apprpriately. Once this is setup rigt, MV connections will be seen in the manage MV connections dialog. Ping test is not sufficient to ensure MV connectivity over iSCSI.

Attaching a screen shot from one my lab machines. Hope thus helps.

Navi_iSCSI_MV.PNG

5.7K Posts

December 14th, 2009 02:00

Connection requirements

MirrorView requires the following:

• One server, connected to one of the storage systems (a second server, connected to the other storage system, is optional).

• A Fibre Channel connection (direct or switch) or an iSCSI connection between the two storage systems, shown below.

The iSCSI connection is not supported on AX4-5 series storage systems with FLARE version 02.23.050.5.5xx.

Cable connections between SPs at the MirrorView sites

MirrorView uses a front-end port on each storage processor (SP) as a communication channel between the storage systems in a remote mirror configuration. This port is called the mirror port in this document.

The table below shows the mirror ports for the different storage systems. All port numbers referenced are front-end ports.

For CX4 series systems, the port numbers listed are logical ports; therefore, these CX4 logical port numbers may not be the same as the physical port numbers that Navisphere displays.

Model(s)

Fibre Channel MirrorView port

iSCSI MirrorView port

CX500

N/A

CX700

N/A

CX3-10c

1a

CX3-20, CX3-20f, CX3-40, CX3-40f

N/A

CX3-20c, CX3-40c

3a

CX3-80

N/A

CX4-120, CX4-240b

CX4-480, CX4-960b

a Mirroring over iSCSI is supported for FLARE version 03.26.xxx.5.xxx or later.

b If the CX4 series system results from a conversion (hardware upgrade) from a prior platform, the MirrorView ports of the prior platform are used. For example, a CX3-10c system converted to a CX4-240 system will have a Fibre Channel MirrorView port 3 and an iSCSI MirrorView port 1. If there is no MirrorView port of a particular type on the prior platform, the MirrorView port will be the highest port of that type configured for the new platform. Once the MirrorView port is configured on the CX4 series system, it will not change, even if higher numbered ports are added.

For information about determining what your MirrorView port is, see the EMC Navisphere Command Line Interface (CLI) Reference or the Navisphere Manager online help.

Although server I/O can share the front-end port with MirrorView, for performance reasons, we strongly recommend that server I/O use the front-end ports that MirrorView is not using.

MirrorView and SAN Copy software cannot share the same SP port. Before installing the MirrorView enabler, you must deselect any MirrorView ports that a SAN Copy session is using. Otherwise, any SAN Copy sessions using the MirrorView port will fail.

For MirrorView to work correctly, the SP A mirror port at one site must be connected to the SP A mirror port on the other site and the SP B mirror port at one site must be connected to the SP B mirror port at the other site. The connections can be either direct or through a switch fabric.

Direct remote mirror connections

A direct mirror configuration consists of one primary storage system and one secondary storage system. The remote mirror connections must be between:

• SP A mirror ports on the primary and secondary storage systems

• SP B mirror ports on the primary and secondary storage systems

Fabric remote mirror connections

A fabric mirror configuration consists of one primary storage system and up to four secondary storage systems. The fabric connections must be as follows:

• SP A mirror port on the primary storage system must be connected to the same switch fabric as the SP A mirror port on the secondary storage system.

• SP B mirror port on the primary storage system must be connected to the same switch fabric as the SP B mirror port on the secondary storage system.

The fabric to which SP A mirror ports are connected can be the same fabric or a different fabric than the one to which the SP B mirror ports are connected.

You must zone the mirror port switch connections as follows:

• A zone for each SP A mirror port on the primary storage system and the SP A mirror port on each secondary storage system.

• A second zone for each SP B mirror port on the primary storage system and the SP B mirror port on each secondary storage system.

For example, if you have primary storage system 1 and secondary storage systems 2 and 3, you need the following two zones:

• Zone 1 - SP A mirror port on storage system 1 and SP A mirror ports on storage systems 2 and 3.

• Zone 2 - SP B mirror port on storage system 1 and SP B mirror ports on storage systems 2 and 3.

You can use the same SP port for server data and MirrorView;however we recommend that you have a dedicated SP port for mirroring. Be careful when an IP distance connection is used because using the same SP port may cause a degradation in both replication and server application performance.

No Events found!