Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 6th, 2008 09:00

Mirrorview and Replication Manager

We have a project where RM is to be used to create clones of Mirrorview/S Secondary devices in a consistent manner (Oracle DB). The documentation for Clariion, RM and MV all clearly state this is supported, but I can't find a single reference as to how it's done.
I found a great 'Reference Architecture' document that describes exactly what we are trying to accomplish, but has no technical details.
Is anyone doing this, and if so where did you find supporting documentation?

Thanks, John

2.2K Posts

November 6th, 2008 10:00

John,
Download the Replication Manager Product Guide from Powerlink. It discusses the coexistence of RM and MirrorView. Just search the PDF for 'MirrorView'.

You can download it from:
Support > Technical Documentation and Advisories > Software ~ P-R ~ Documentation > Replication Manager > General Reference

Hope that helps,
Aran

11 Posts

Aran,
Thanks, but I know this document well. It makes statements such as 'supports', 'you can', and 'beyond the scope of this document'. There is not a single specific reference as to how you actually configure RM with MV in either the Product or Admin Guides.

Correction to my original post - SQL DB, not Oracle.

John

2.2K Posts

Have you tried just creating the job in RM after ensuring that RM can 'see' all the storage on the arrays in question? The document states that it is supported as you pointed out, and following that thought just use the process the document details for creating a job.

By the way, what version of RM are you running?

11 Posts

November 6th, 2008 12:00

Aran,
Thanks. I will try the other forum as well, but I found many more posts here than there related to RM&MV.

Yes the Replication Technology is Snapview, clones in particular. MV will be licensed, but as noted this is a new environment, and not yet installed. As I noted in the last post, I suspect that other options may become available if MV is detected, but never having used it before, I don't know if this is the case. The docs certainly don't state anything.

2.2K Posts

John,
Thanks for explaining in more detail, the picture is clearer now. When creating the job to clone the MV secondary I would think that you would use the Application Set that manages the M/V Primary as you stated, but the Replication Source would be the M/V secondary and the Replication Technology would be Snapview? Not sure. I have done similar jobs with SANCopy and Snapview but not with M/V. Some of the options may not be available for the job creation if the RM server is not licensed for all the replication technologies you want to use. What is licensed in RM?

Also, copy and paste your original post to the Replication and Recovery forum. Some RM support guys watch that forum so you will most likely get an answer from an EMC RM support guy there. Since this is the CLARiiON forum and not RM I don't think they watch this one.

11 Posts

Aran,
This is a new implementation of CX4's, MV and RM (5.1) with SAP on SQL. There is currently nothing in place. I'm working on the RM part, and the design calls for cloning the secondary devices, at the DR site.
I've done RM install/configures with SAP/SQL before, and am familiar with all the features, but do not recall seeing anything specific to MV in any config screens. When you create an application set it figures out what the storage devices are for the SQL DB. By default that would be the MV primary devices, as that is all that the SQL DB knows about. Unless RM can dynamically recognize that the devices are MV primary devices and offer the option to use the secondaries, the clones will be of the primaries. When working with the secondary devices you also have to account for the links and the current status of the seconday devices. This all plays into the state of those devices when the clones are taken. We need to have recoverable and/or restorable images. RM docs clearly state that it cannot manage these links, which may not be an issue, but without any clear documentation on how the 2 products are configured together I can't make any assumptions.
I'm still searching technical, config, install, and admin docs, but nothing yet.

John

2.2K Posts

There were some jobs that I could not create in RM until the server was properly licensed for the replication technology desired. So if you haven't purchased and installed the proper licenses you probably aren't going to get very far. Check with your local TC/Sales person to get the exact details on the licenses required for what you want to do.

11 Posts

November 6th, 2008 14:00

Well, it seems the answer was in plain sight all along, I just did not realize what I was seeing.

When you are configure an RM job the replication technology is selected. For Mirrorview/S secondary device clones, you select Snapview Clone (remote). It's that simple.

Sure wish I'd realized this before...

Thanks, John

2.2K Posts

November 6th, 2008 14:00

Awesome, thanks for posting back with the info. Glad you found the answer.

Aran
No Events found!