Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 14th, 2011 08:00

Mirrorview/snapview - clone as source for mirror

Hi There

Does anyone know if you can use a clone of a secondary mirror as a primary mirror to mirror to a 3rd clariion ?

what i mean is if you mirror a lun from san1 to san2 can you then take a clone of the mirror on san2 and use that as a primary lun to mirror from san2 to san3

Thanks

Paul

91 Posts

April 14th, 2011 10:00

Take a look at White Paper: EMC MirrorView Knowledgebook: FLARE 30—A Detailed Review

You can't use clone as primary image of MV but you can use SAN Copy full or incremental to copy clone to 3rd clariion

Alex

5.7K Posts

April 15th, 2011 00:00

If you want to replicate a secondary Mirror as a PRI for another set up, you need to stop mirroring the First set and then start the second.

But this doesn’t work for a multi hop setup as you are referring to.

115 Posts

April 15th, 2011 00:00

Hi Guys

if i was to take a snap of the secondary mirror and use that as the primary to mirror to the 3rd SAN would the 3rd mirror be a full copy of the LUN or just a copy of the SNAP?

i'm aware that my mirror would only be then updated when the snap was updated but what would you guys use to mirror to the 3rd SAN?

would recover point be the only product able to achieve this ? what about replication manager ?

Thanks

115 Posts

April 15th, 2011 01:00

Thanks for that RRR

you cannot mirror a snapshot either, it looks like you can use sancopy to copy the secondary mirror to a 3rd SAN

is there a similar document "detailed review" for Sancopy ??

Paul

5.7K Posts

April 15th, 2011 01:00

Take a look at “EMC Clariion SnapView Clones, a detailed review”. It contains a lot of useful information about combining clones and snapshots.

5.7K Posts

April 15th, 2011 02:00

Log on to Powerlink and find out

727 Posts

April 15th, 2011 06:00

Home > Products > Software S-Z > SAN Copy > White Papers

White Paper: EMC SAN Copy—A Detailed Review

No Events found!