Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 30th, 2009 17:00

Monitoring CX3-80 with SCOM

Hi,

I want to monitor a CX3-80 using SCOM R2 and have the Clariion management pack. Pardon the questions but I am not that familiar with Navisphere, but hope someone can answer these:

The MP guide says I need Navisphere CX station registered with the array - the people I am working with only access the array via web interface. What software do I need (links please) ? I donwloaded Navisphere server utility, but this seems to be more geared to registering the array

Ideally I want to install a Navisphere agent on my SCOM server, load the MP template on the array & have SCOM catch the EMC alerts form the Windows event log

Do I have to dedicate a server to manage the array & if so is the software freely available ?

Cheers,
Ian

2.2K Posts

July 1st, 2009 09:00

Ian,
Welcome to the forums. I believe you will need to setup a management station. It could be a PC or VM (or a VM running Windows XP), and does not have to be a server. IIRC you need to setup a portal running the navi agent software and designate the workstation as a portal in Navisphere.

In the Navisphere online help there is a section on Managing Storage Systems and a subsection on Managing Portals. See if that is what you need for the SCOM connection for monitoring.

Aran

51 Posts

July 2nd, 2009 00:00

Hi Ian

Ive just been setting this up myself and the instructions are a little frustrating. To this point I have the Windows box receiving events from the Clariions, but Im waiting for our SCOM guys to work their SCOM 'magic' to confirm it all works

This is my setup:
VM Windows 2003 Server with Navisphere Agent installed, you do not need the Navisphere server utility. Ensure the agent.config file has an entry for each SP of each Clariion you wish to monitor.

In Navisphere Manager, ensure each SP on each clariion has the system@ of the windows hostadded in the SP Properties-> Agent tab.

Create the windows host as a portal, so follow the steps in Portal Configuration, to add the host to a storage system. (This seemed a little back to front to me but it worked)

Under the "Monitors" tab, import the SCOM_template.tpl
If the windows host was added as a portal as above it will now show as a 'monitor', right click the windows host and select "Select Global Template" and choose the SCOM_Template.

Right click again and choose "Monitor System" add the storage arrays you wish to monitor to the Windows host as well.

I also edited the SCOM_Template to include monitoring of the Test Event (Informational event id 0x2004) so that I can fire off test events on the clariions and I see them appear on the windows application event log. However the SCOM Management pack does not include this test event so thats about where Im up to.

Hope this helps a bit.

If anyone has done it differently I'ld be interested to hear. To date we have used distributed monitoring not centralized and I havent yet worked out the impact of this setup.

Cheers

Steph

3 Posts

July 2nd, 2009 22:00

Hi Steph,

Thanks for your help - I am getting an error when trying to apply the SCOM template 'logging events to system log by agent on SP is not supported'
There is another SNMP template applied that works fine - can I apply more than 1 ?
I'm not all that familiar with EMC and am trying to work my way through the process and hope you could clarify some of the points below...

This is my setup:
VM Windows 2003 Server with Navisphere Agent
installed, you do not need the Navisphere server
utility. Ensure the agent.config file has an entry
for each SP of each Clariion you wish to monitor.

<<< Same I have VM 2003 with Navisphere agent, Navisphere Off-array management & UI & the SCOM agent installed

In Navisphere Manager, ensure each SP on each
clariion has the system@ of the windows hostadded
in the SP Properties-> Agent tab.

<<< here's my agent.config with IPs x'ed out
clarDescr
clarContact
poll 120
baud 9600
eventlog 2048
user scom@x.x.x.x
user system@x.x.x.x

user system@x.x.x.x
user system@x.x.x.x

Create the windows host as a portal, so follow the
steps in Portal Configuration, to add the host to a
storage system. (This seemed a little back to front
to me but it worked)

<<< this bit I don't understand - I tried installing ClarAlert & setting the monitor IP & portal as the SAN IP with user creds of a monitoring (not admin user) but that didn't work
How do I add my VM as a portal ?

Under the "Monitors" tab, import the
SCOM_template.tpl
If the windows host was added as a portal as above it
will now show as a 'monitor', right click the windows
host and select "Select Global Template" and choose
the SCOM_Template.

<<< I've imported the SCOM template & the MP into SCOM

Right click again and choose "Monitor System" add
the storage arrays you wish to monitor to the Windows
host as well.

I also edited the SCOM_Template to include monitoring
of the Test Event (Informational event id 0x2004) so
that I can fire off test events on the clariions and
I see them appear on the windows application event
log. However the SCOM Management pack does not
include this test event so thats about where Im up
to.

Hope this helps a bit.

If anyone has done it differently I'ld be interested
to hear. To date we have used distributed monitoring
not centralized and I havent yet worked out the
impact of this setup.

Cheers

Steph

51 Posts

July 2nd, 2009 22:00

Hi Steph,

Thanks for your help - I am getting an error when
trying to apply the SCOM template 'logging events to
system log by agent on SP is not supported'

Yeah - this one stumped me for a while.

In Navisphere Manager, ensure each SP on each
clariion has the system@ of the windows

hostadded
in the SP Properties-> Agent tab.

- check this one.

<<< here's my agent.config with IPs x'ed out
clarDescr
clarContact
poll 120
baud 9600
eventlog 2048
user scom@x.x.x.x
user system@x.x.x.x

user system@x.x.x.x
user system@x.x.x.x

- Make sure you have an entry for each Storage Processor on the CX, so two entries per array.

Create the windows host as a portal, so follow the
steps in Portal Configuration, to add the host to a
storage system. (This seemed a little back to front
to me but it worked)

<<< this bit I don't understand - I tried installing
ClarAlert & setting the monitor IP & portal as the
SAN IP with user creds of a monitoring (not admin
user) but that didn't work
How do I add my VM as a portal ?

In navisphere Manager, Select Tools, Portal Configuration, RIght Click on Portals -> Add Portal you get prompted to add one of your arrays. Then right click the array after you have added it and select Add Storage System, make sure 'agent ' is selected at the top, and go to the lower half of hte pane and insert the IP of the WIndows host - it will then show in the selected system panel.

You can then go back to the Monitors tab in the main Enterprise Storage window and the windows host should appear here. Now you can assign the SCOM_Template.tpl to the Windows host, you may need to import it into Navisphere Manager.

You cant monitor a storage array directly with the SCOM Template, because you are not allowed to write to the event log of the storage processors.

Under the "Monitors" tab, import the
SCOM_template.tpl
If the windows host was added as a portal as above it
will now show as a 'monitor', right click the windows
host and select "Select Global Template" and

choose the SCOM_Template.

<<< I've imported the SCOM template & the MP into
SCOM

SCOM_Template.tpl goes to Navisphere manager and the .mp goes to SCOM

Right click the WIndows Host again and choose "Monitor System" add
the storage arrays you wish to monitor to the

Windows
host as well.

Cheers

Steph

3 Posts

July 6th, 2009 00:00

Hi Steph,

Thanks that helped make things a lot clearer - I successfully added my Navisphere VM as a monitor, and eventually got the SCOM template applied but an error popping up in the console:

"Error saving configuration - monitor busy"

Is that just because the SP is busy doing something ?

Cheers,
Ian
No Events found!