Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 26th, 2009 10:00

Mounting Multiple Snaps on different host

host o/s - hpux , aix
clariion - cx3-80

i think it is possible to mount multiple snaps for the same LUN on different hosts . Just want to confirm .

Idea is when a backup is happening using the snap (1st snap copy) , i should be able to mount another snap (second copy) to a different host. This is part of defining our recovery strategy during when the backup is happening and we need to restore something . I want to use another snap to accomplish that .

Any ideas , suggestions .

Also , how is everybody experience with cloning a big LUN . I attempted few times and it took more than 24 hrs to do even 200 Gb of LUN and i have to stop it in between . Any advise .

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

October 26th, 2009 11:00

SnapView clone or SnapView snap ?

4.5K Posts

October 26th, 2009 12:00

A normal Snap Clone running on LOW will run about 10GB/hour if using a R5 4+1 source LUN and if the destination LUN has enough write bandwidth to handle the writes without overload the write cache. This is using 10K FC disks.

At MED using the above config it should run around 34GB/hr.

This was measured on a CX4-960 with no other activity. These are the read speeds measured at the disks on the source LUN.

The key is having a very fast destination LUN.

If you have a 200GB LUN and you select LOW, it should take about 20 hours - with no Writes to the source during the initial sync and if your destination LUN and handle the rate without causing the write cache to fill (99% Dirty Pages) and cause force flushing.

glen

2.2K Posts

October 26th, 2009 12:00

I would also add that with cloning you should be using incremental synchs for successive synchronizations. This is key to getting a quick nightly sync time. I used to perform nightly clones of a 4TB SQL database on a Cx700. The first synch was very long, but the successive incrementals were quick as only the changed data was synched up.

2.2K Posts

October 27th, 2009 11:00

Yes you can mount multiple snaps of the same LUN to different hosts. It is a common use of snaps.

36 Posts

October 27th, 2009 11:00

i think i confused everybody with my question . I first asked for Snap View Snap and then later part of my question was related to Snap View Clone . So please reply to my first part question related to mounting multiple snap for same LUN to different host .

Thanks for everybody's reply on Snap Clone as it looks like its little a effort for the first time but then it will be fine later during incremental changes.

36 Posts

October 27th, 2009 13:00

Thanks everybody . I got confirmation about multiple snaps can be mounted to different host and also got some useful answers on clonning .

t

1 Message

March 24th, 2011 02:00

Hi,

My question is alittle different, Is it possible to mount multiple snaps on the same Host by using Replication Manager?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 24th, 2011 05:00

you will get a faster reply in RM forum: ECN > Support Forums > Replication

March 29th, 2011 23:00

asdasd,

Yes, that is one of the features of Replication Manager that a replica (SnapvView snapshot or clone) can be presented to the same host as the original LUN being protected.  Using a Windows environment as an example, Replication Manager will resignature the replica(s) so there isn't a collision with the original.  This is one of the selling points of Replication Manager; without RM, you could not present the SnapView snapshot(s) or clone(s) to the original host as the disk signature (in the case of Windows) is the same as the LUN being protected.

No Events found!