Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 23rd, 2007 05:00

NaviSphere ESX 3.0 Unable to retrieve remote agent configuration

Gents,

I'm running a CX500. I've installed a ESX 3.0 server and connected it to the CX500

installed the .rpm using this command:
rpm -ivh naviagentcli-6.19.4.7.0-1.noarch.rpm

restarted my esx server but still got the message in NaviSphere manager that the host is unmanaged although i can add it to storage group and assign lun's to it...
(also created a vmfs partition, so it works properly)

anyone got an idea to get this host managed?!?!

Do i have to add naviagent to a startup file or something?

Thanx in advance!
regards.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

January 23rd, 2007 06:00

i have never installed it on ESX, but are you sure you don't need to modify agent.conf file in /etc/Navisphere ... i know on HPUX you have to add a device ..for example c0t2d0 . Open the file in nano or vi and look at the examples.

24 Posts

edited the agent.config file with:

user system@
user system@

stupid me, i did a start instead of a restart.

all working now!

24 Posts

i tried the options listed in this thread:

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=544745

still without succes tho.

when i want to start the naviagent (/etc/init.d/naviagent start) i get a failed everytime.

still think you are right dynamox that i should modify the agent.config file somewhere..

24 Posts

January 23rd, 2007 07:00

still navisphere manager shows the host as unmanaged...

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

January 23rd, 2007 07:00

is system user actually defined on Clariion, right click on the SP and select properties, click on Agent ..do you have system there ?

76 Posts

January 23rd, 2007 11:00

Check out emc142667, referring to opening up the ports in the ESX firewall:

Question: Resolving VMware ESX server that shows as host unreachable from Navisphere
Environment: OS: VMware ESX server 3.0
Environment: EMC Software: Navisphere Host agent 6.16.0.4.81 and 6.19.x.x
Problem: Navisphere Manager displays the VMware host as unreachable.
Problem: CLARiiON SP error logs shows: 4740 '11.93.16.11' cannot be managed. Client non-data stream error. 11.93.16.11 Err: RWSockErr: in RWSocket::connect: TIMEDOUT
Notes: Although the site's network had the required ports open for Navisphere CLI and Agent, VMware ESX has a built-in firewall.
Fix: Open the Naviagent, CLI, and Storage System Initialization Utility port from the ESX service console:

# esxcfg-firewall ¿o ¿openPort

For example:

esxcfg-firewall ¿o 6389,tcp,in,naviagent

24 Posts

January 24th, 2007 00:00

Dynamox, the user isn't there idd, do i have to manually add it there?

and EKellerman, i've put this command : esxcfg-firewall ¿o 6389,tcp,in,naviagent
(restarted naviagent)

but no luck also...

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

January 24th, 2007 05:00

is your Clariion SPA/SPB on a private or public network ?

24 Posts

January 24th, 2007 06:00

private as in..?

it's configurered with a 10.x network...

it's still in test, so no users or any servers are connected..except a few windows, netware, esx hosts for testing purposes

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

January 24th, 2007 07:00

so SPA/B are on 10.x network and your ESX system on the same network ? I just wonder if it's a communication problem or something of that nature.

4.5K Posts

January 24th, 2007 09:00

If you cannot find the EMC_Install.sh script, you can install the Linux RPM. If this is on ESX 3, the RPM install should be last. See below.

In addition to installing the RPM, the EMC_Install.sh script opens some ports on the ESX 3 firewall. This is only necessary on ESX v3.0.x.

The procedure to do this is in the document:

EMC CLARiiON Server Support Products for Linux and ESX Server Installation Guide
P/N 300-002-041
Rev A08

However, this document is incorrect in a couple of places (I have submitted changes) and actually provides the command to close (-c) the ports instead of opening (-o) them in a couple of places.

The commands that I used from within the ESX3 (ESX3 ONLY) service console (as root) are as follows:

/usr/sbin/esxcfg-firewall -o 443,tcp,out,navisphere
/usr/sbin/esxcfg-firewall -o 2163,tcp,out,navisphere
/usr/sbin/esxcfg-firewall -o 6389,tcp,in,navisphere
/usr/sbin/esxcfg-firewall -o 6389,tcp,out,navisphere
/usr/sbin/esxcfg-firewall -o 6390,tcp,in,navisphere
/usr/sbin/esxcfg-firewall -o 6391,tcp,in,navisphere
/usr/sbin/esxcfg-firewall -o 6392,tcp,in,navisphere

After this you will need to either restart the firewall service or reboot the system to have the changes take effect.

Hope this helps,

glenk

March 5th, 2007 20:00

I know this has been answered but VMware has excellent documentation on how to do this also.

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/resources/cat/91,100,126
No Events found!