Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

April 3rd, 2012 18:00

Naviseccli Snapshot Activate for Multiple Snaps

Is there a way to activate multiple snapshots in one command

naviseccli -address 192.168.207.8 snapview -activatesnapshot session1 -snapshotname snap0,snap7,snap8

Where snap0,snap7,snap8 are Snap LUN's in session1

I am not able to do activate all the snaps together.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

April 3rd, 2012 19:00

30 Posts

April 4th, 2012 05:00

Dynamox,

I am able to start the session , I cannot activate multiple snapshot once the session is created.

I am able to do start the session as mentioned in the post.

naviseccli -h IP_CLARiiON snap view -startsession SESSIONNAME -luns XX YY -consistent

I was wondering if there is a way to activate multiple snaps for a session using single command without using admsnap

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

April 4th, 2012 08:00

i can't test it right now, but if you specified multiple LUNs with -consistent option when you started the session, when you activate the session ..you just specify the session name, not individual LUNs.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

April 4th, 2012 09:00

Richard,

it's been a while for me as well, does COFW begins as soon as you start the session ?

474 Posts

Yep, the session is the actual snapshot. Activating just opens the session for read/write access.

Richard J Anderson

30 Posts

I am trying to do some scripting for automating the snap process. If there is a way to activate the snap's in a single command it would make scripting easy, otherwise I would need to probably run it through a loop , I am going to try to test some options with naviseccli to see if its possible to do in a single command.

I didn't work with navicli much in the past but looking at some of the options it doesn't look's to be as flexible as symcli

474 Posts

Dynamox, it’s been a while for me on this but even with a single multi-lun session, you need to activate that session to each snapshot, there is one snapshot for each LUN being snapped and presented to the host. However, as I mentioned in my other reply, consistency is maintained within the session, so there is no absolute requirement to activate multiple snapshots simultaneously.

Richard J Anderson

30 Posts

Yes, COFW starts as soon as the session is started.

474 Posts

Is there a specific reason you need to activate them all in one command? The reason you can start session in one command is to ensure all of the sessions are write-order consistent. With activate, that is not a concern.

Richard J Anderson

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

April 4th, 2012 10:00

Thanks Richard.

Rajshekar ..i am afraid you will need to tackle it with some scripting. Like you said, loop through the list of sessions and activate the ones you need.

30 Posts

April 4th, 2012 14:00

Dynamox,

I tested all the possible ways and it doesn't seems to be possible to activate multiple snaps from a single command.

There is also a document for snapshot that says it's not possible.

I was able to put all the snaps in a file and do a for loop and it seems to work.

Thanks,

Raj

No Events found!