happyadm
3 Silver

Navisphere Analyzer Thresholds

Jump to solution
Hi,

My analyzer thresholds got wiped using Navi 6.19. I searched through the Analyzer Admin, Install Guide, and Release Notes and cannot find a chart with the defaults or any suggested recommendations. I am a relative newbie on the SAN and my company has not been able to send me to a course pertaining to this just yet. Any feedback would be helpful. The DBA's are asking for LUN throughput data.

Thanks a bunch!

happyadmin
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kelleg
5 Rhenium

Re: Navisphere Analyzer Thresholds

Jump to solution
For Best Practices use the following:

Utilization - 70
Queue Length - 10
Response Time - 20

When you use these, look for LUN's with all three thresholds in RED - the LUNs with all three red are problem LUNs. These are the firgures that EMC uses to gauge whether or not a LUN has a performance problem.

regards,

glen kelley

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
happyadm
3 Silver

Jump to solution
Also, the particular values I am referring to are on under tools > analyzer > customize> survey chart.

Thanks again!

Happyadmin
0 Kudos
kelleg
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution
For Best Practices use the following:

Utilization - 70
Queue Length - 10
Response Time - 20

When you use these, look for LUN's with all three thresholds in RED - the LUNs with all three red are problem LUNs. These are the firgures that EMC uses to gauge whether or not a LUN has a performance problem.

regards,

glen kelley

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
happyadm
3 Silver

Jump to solution
Thank you Glen, much appreciated!
0 Kudos
happyadm
3 Silver

Jump to solution
One question Glen, what would be a good number to use for the interval?
0 Kudos
kelleg
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution
Keep the interval at 0, it makes it more complex if you use a larger number.

There are conditions where you will get false response time spikes - if the device (LUN, disk) has low IOPS (less than 75 IOPS) and low Queue Length (less than 1 or 2), response time can be very high - this is caused by the way response times is calculated - it's weighted for high IO, the more IOPS you have, the more accurate response time is.

If the interval is set to 5, you may not see these in the Summary (square will not turn Red). If you see a Red response time square for a LUN, remember that you must also have Utilization over 70 and Queue Length over 10 for the LUN to be considered outside of Best Practices.

reagrds,

glen
happyadm
3 Silver

Jump to solution
Great! Very Helpful.
0 Kudos