Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 12th, 2008 05:00

New Fibre Adapter

I have a Windows host with two fibre adapters connected via a Cisco swithc to my Clarrion. Windows version is 2003 SP2 Enterprise and powerpath is installed (4.6.1.2 I think). When the server was setup and initially connected to the Clarrion one of the adapters was zoned incorrectly so Powerpath Administrator only showed one adapter.

I have corrected the zoning now - what do I need to do on the Clarrtion to allow this path to be used? Sorry if this question is a bit broad - I have limited experience with Powerpath so am not sure if the root issue is there or on the Clarrion side.

Thanks in advance,

Sam

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 12th, 2008 05:00

take a look here, specifically AranH's suggestion.

https://forums.emc.com/forums/thread.jspa?tstart=0&threadID=66814

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 12th, 2008 06:00

right click on the array itself and select "update now" ..go back to connectivity status ..if you still do not see your new HBA ..check your zoning.

5 Posts

March 12th, 2008 06:00

When I look at the connectivity status it only shows the one adapter still - not even blue remarks. I click reconnect and still only the one adapter. When I right-click the host and select "update now..." it times out saying hte agent is not running.....

Do I need to run the Navisphere Server Utility to resend info to the Clarrion or is it likely that I haven't resolved the zoning in the fabric?

Thanks,

Sam

2.1K Posts

March 12th, 2008 07:00

It sounds like you may be looking at the Connectivity Status for the host itself (when you drill down to the Storage Group and right click on the host). If this is true, then try looking at the Connectivity Status for the entire array (right click on the array). Look for initiators that are not registered. If you find the WWN of the other HBA as a logged in initiator you know you got the zoning right... NaviSphere just hasn't associated the initiators with the host yet.

If this is the case you can try stopping and restarting the NaviAgent on the host, or you can manually register the new initiators and associate them with the existing host. After you do this you will still have to go back to the Connectivity Status for the host itself and you should see the new initiators listed under the "~management" storage group. Now you can "Reconnect" and it should put all the initiators in the proper Storage Group for you.

If I'm completely out to lunch and you were already looking at the Connectivity Status for the entire array, then just ignore me :-)

5 Posts

March 12th, 2008 07:00

Aha! I did that and no luck, but I installed the Navisphere Server Utility, selected the register option and when I went back to connectivity status they were in there and blue! I followed the instructions in the post you mentioned and it is all working great.

Thanks for your help!

Sam

2.1K Posts

March 12th, 2008 08:00

Ahhh... I've never been in there. Never needed to :-) You learn something new every day, eh?

5.7K Posts

I've read this "right click" on the host in the storage group in some other thread before, but I've tried it several times now, but it doesn't work ! Therefore I'm using the engineering mode, so I get the advanced button to check all paths.....

2.1K Posts

OK, Now I'm going to revert to my previous role on our Service Desk and pretend that I don't know you at all (which technically I don't :-) So please don't be offended...

I want you to follow these steps EXACTLY and tell me what you see:
1. Logged into NaviSphere on your CX300 (but NOT in Engineering Mode) expand the Storage Groups so you can see them all listed
2. Select one of your Storage Groups and expand it so you can see the subfolders (Hosts, LUN, etc.)
3. Expand the hosts folder so you can see the host names
4. Right click on the host and tell me what options you see on the menu that pops up

5.7K Posts

I think we misunderstood each other. Ineed: we both now learned something new :)

2.1K Posts

So when you drill down to the Storage Group, Expand the Hosts folder, and right click on the host itself you don't get an option for Connectivity Status?

What CLARiiON array / FLARE are you running?

5.7K Posts

I'm trying it NOW on an almost brand new CX3-20c and once again, when I enter the SG in the hosts tab and I right click on any host, I don't get any menu.

However: when I open the "hosts" in the top level menu of Navisphere and I right click there on any host, I do get the connectivity status and the "reconnect" button.

5.7K Posts

Waaaw, you're quick !
I've now seen this on CX300 Flare 19, CX3-10 Flare 24 and Flare 26 and CX3-20 Flare 24 and 26. So what you're describing I cannot reproduce.

Engineering mode works fine for me, so I don't worry about it, but I'm curious about your solution as well, so I keep trying it out on every Clariion I'm encountering ;)

2.1K Posts

Do you get ANY menu options if you right click on the host? I've got a CX300 with FLARE 19 that this works on...

This makes no sense

5.7K Posts

Nope :(

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

works for me ..even though i usually get into Engineering mode. I've got CX500, 2x600, 700 ..all on flare 19
No Events found!