Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 24th, 2015 11:00

Out of support drive failure

I have an array where one of the vault drives failed.  The poor part with this is that write cache is disabled so it really reduces performance.  I only had 2 VM's running on this but I vmotioned them to our VNX5200 to remediate.

However we would like to fix the drive issue.  Drive 2 is faulted which is an STE3065 CLAR300, CLARiiON TLA Part Number: 005048956.  I was wondering if I could just purchase a brand new Seagate 300GB 3.5" drive and replace the bad one in the existing drive tray and use it?

Its $199 at PCM.  Would this work?  See the part number contains some of the same numbers ST3300657SS

http://www.pcm.com/p/Seagate-Hard-Drives/product~dpno~8019871~pdp.gaegibi?src=search

1 Rookie

• 

358 Posts

December 3rd, 2015 06:00

Thanks for the tip!

We ended up paying a third party vendor, Reliant Technologies for the drive.  I installed it this week and its working fine now.  We are looking at getting their very basic level 4 support contract.  Because the NX4 is an older unit, EMC support is very cost prohibitive, but this vendor has a positive track record and we will use them for older equipment.

1.2K Posts

November 25th, 2015 03:00

EMC drives in CLARiiON and VNX cannot be replaced with off-the-shelf hard disks.  EMC uses proprietary formatting of the drives, including formatting special areas and using 520-byte sectors. It would be much easier to find an EMC Service Partner and order a drive from them.

Let us know if that helps!

Karl

1 Rookie

• 

358 Posts

November 25th, 2015 06:00

Is there an online directory of EMC Service partners?

I asked my EMC sales rep and she said that they do not make that drive anymore.  They have a limited number of drives available but those are only available under a maintenance contract.  She would be willing to have a new drive shipped if we commited and signed for an update, to hold us over until that upgrade took place.  (Any product, be it Data Domain, VNX series, etc..).

We did upgraded to VNX5200 and that is primary storage.  Though the NX4 / AX4-5f system works fine and has storage space, we didn't just "throw it away".  We just use it as staging area for test VM's or new projects.  Then when the project goes live we would storage vMotion the VM to production (VNX5200).

I don't care if we even have to ebay a drive, but worst case if we wanted to unload this thing and get some rack space back, are there also partners that would buy it from us?  Hate to throw it away when it cost us a ton of money back in 2009.  I think its off the books now but still its the principal of it.  I'd hate to throw it on eBay too, what a logistical nightmare to get all the components shipped to the winner.

62 Posts

November 26th, 2015 22:00

Hello,

Sorry this will not work. EMC Arrays are internally formatting the drives differently.

Regards

1 Rookie

• 

358 Posts

November 27th, 2015 07:00

If I could say how I felt about this, the thread would not be G- rated and the mods would quickly have to step in.  What I don't understand is that you have so many different filesystem formats out there, and the host operating system takes care of the formatting so it works with the system.  You can buy a drive and put it in a Mac, Windows PC, Linux PC, and each individual operating system takes care of the format, and in many cases you have a choice (like ext3, reiserfs, zfs, fat32, ntfs, hfs, etc....)  So why doesn't FLARE see the drive and do its low level format and then format the drive the way it needs?  Oh I think it certainly could do that, just nobody programmed it that way (you can teach a machine to do anything with proper code).  Its just a way to get more money into EMC's pockets.  I'll remember that for next time were due up for any type of storage gear.  Who knows maybe Dell will open things up a bit since they have a big investment in hardware.  Dell hardware is pretty open, i've used various drives in their servers (fujitsu, seagate, western digital, hgst).

Meanwhile I have our account rep at PCM looking to see if THEY can source anything like this.

1.2K Posts

November 29th, 2015 10:00

To be frank, any storage provider - NetApp, SUN/Oracle, HP, IBM do very much the same.  If this were an IBM DS4800 or XIV, you would not be able to just add an off-the-shelf disk.  NetApp, EMC and most other hardware vendors modify their base hardware (disks) in some way to add functionality.  This isn't about closing things off and making them proprietary, it's about adding additional levels of protection, i.e. using a 520-byte sector to include an 8-byte checksum.

Also, there's a significant difference between a filesystem - which resides above the disk layer and the physical disk layer. EMC and most vendors choose to make changes at the disk layer to get extra protection.  Sure, it would be great if FLARE could reconfigure a physical drive to add this, but EMC chose not to.  If EMC, IBM, NetApp and all the other vendors seem to be incapable of doing this, it might be for a good reason. 

Finally, a quick Google search can point out EMC Service Partners in your country or service area.  Some vendors have standard web fronts that will sell hardware on a credit card number, while others will want some form of service contract to support your array.

195 Posts

December 1st, 2015 10:00

To expand on your options a bit I believe that any AX4 FC disk equal to or larger than 300GB would work.

You could also replace it with a designated spare from elsewhere in the array; as a vault drive it won't rebuild to another slot, but if you remove a disk from elsewhere in the array and put it in the vault slot it will rebuild.

4.5K Posts

December 4th, 2015 14:00

Please mark your question "Answered" as you found a solution that may help others.

glen

No Events found!