Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

IO

March 22nd, 2011 10:00

Performance analysis on Clariion

Hi

Are there any tools from EMC or third party that can pull performance data from Clariion in realtime ( or at least few minutes old ) and present it in a similar way as SAN headquarters does for the Equallogic array? I know that I can use Analyzer for this but it seems that it is not intended to be always on because of possible performance hit, also you have to manually pull the data off and open it in viewer for Analyzer so that is not instant view of the array unless you are pulling it off the array every few minutes, what are people using for day to day performance and capacity overview of the Clariion?

BR

Ingvar

10 Posts

March 22nd, 2011 10:00

I've been using Storage Profiler from SolarWinds (used to be Tek-Tools). It provides really good data. I believe you can install a free trial. The setup is fairly straight forward but I believe they will even provide support for setting up the trial. It uses an SMI-S provider to communicate with the array.

727 Posts

March 22nd, 2011 13:00

You do not have to pull the analyzer files to be able to see what is happening on the storage system. You can look at the analyzer metrics in real time (depending on what your sampling interval is) also. You have the option of either viewing the metrics in real time, or viewing it through analyzer (NAR) files. Also, if you enable periodic archiving, Analyzer will automatically create archive files and store it on the SP, you can retrieve them later through a script. Ofcourse, if you leave the archive files for a very long time, the old ones get over written with the new archive file.

This assumes that you have the Analyzer license installed on your system.

1 Rookie

• 

36 Posts

March 23rd, 2011 09:00

Thanks Sean-t_UvC

I am trying it out now and it looks good, although not as good as SAN Headquarter

BR

Ingvar

1 Rookie

• 

36 Posts

March 23rd, 2011 10:00

Thanks for the answer Avi

I knew a about the Analyzer, but just trying to find something that was a little bit smoother and more customer friendly.

BR

Ingvar

1 Message

May 3rd, 2011 09:00

Hello,

I would like to borrow this thread as its regarding the Analyzer on the Clariion system (have a CX4-120 myself), hope its allright.

We recently upgraded to Flare 30 and by then we enabled the Analyzer.

Im curious if running the analyzer will have any negative inpact for end hosts / vmware guests connected to the Clariion or if its just my experience in the GUI/CLI while it's running, as im being prompted with: "Data Logging can have significant performance impact......"

The only thing I was able find regarding perfomance in whitepapers etc is that its quite demanding when i have "large configurations", hence what is large configuration?

So translating this in to a simple question, what performance issue is to be expected when running the Analyzer (on a CX4-120)?

Regards//M

4.5K Posts

May 4th, 2011 14:00

Large configuration = 100's to 1000's of LUNs, lots of metaLUNs, Pool LUNs, 50-100 hosts. If you look at SP Utilization and you see it over 50% consistently, then running Analyzer will have some impact on performance. The more objects Analyzer needs to monitor (disk, LUN, SP, metaLUN component, snaps, mirrors, hosts) the more overhead Analyzer will use. Also, the archive interval rate (the default is 120 seconds) can also have an effect. The shorter the interval, the more the impact.

The warning is there to make sure you are aware of all these possibilities. The good thing about Analyzer is that you can turn it off if needed.

glen

No Events found!